BCCI had earlier announced that Harmanpreet and opener Smriti Mandhana will be the captains, and the teams names have been announced as IPL Supernovas and IPL Trailblazers respectively.
Australia's captain Meg Lanning has recovered from her injury and will be a part of the Harmanpreet Kaur-led IPL Supernovas which also includes Indian star Mithali Raj.
The women's game has seen a wave of popularity in the country following the national team's run to the final of World Cup past year.
There will be a host of Indian and global stars that will take the field for the Women's T20 Challenge match in Mumbai.
"The opportunity to play ahead of the men's IPL match, it was hard to turn that down", said New Zealand's Sophie Devine, who was announced for the match.
In this regard, the IPL Chairman Rajiv Shukla said in his statement: "The IPL will continue to be as usual".
On the other hand, Diana Edulji - former India women skipper and voice of CoA - added, "The idea was to promote women's cricket and keep the momentum going". However, considering the lack of depth among Indian women's cricketers, the idea was shelved.
Also read - Women's IPL to become a reality in 3 years? This match will begin at 2pm and will be followed by the IPL 2018 Qualifier 1 at 7pm.
The IPL is the biggest and most popular league in the world and it has been a long-time endeavour to have a women's league that can match the exuberance of IPL. This is just to start and show that we can have a women's IPL from next season.
- Ranieri set to exit French soccer's Nantes
- $2.21 EPS Expected for The JM Smucker Company (SJM)
- National Home Builder Confidence Index Climbs to 70 in May
- Sheriff: Ex-husband kills 5, injures 1 in North Texas home shooting
- Hardik Pandya and KL Rahul exchange jerseys
- Samsung S7 and S7 Edge facing issue over Oreo update
- Another transgender woman is murder in Dallas
- Robbery suspect assaulted West Hartford officer
- Pioneer Energy Services Corp (PES) Climbs 12.22% For the Week
- OnePlus 6 Seen Passing Bend, Burn, and Scratch Tests Following Its Debut