Bora-Hansgrohe's Sam Bennett won stage 12 of the Giro d'Italia in Imola, Italy, today.
However the latter pair were swept up inside the final kilometre and Bennett made his bid for glory some way from the line, quickly putting the rest of the fast finishers in trouble.
"It was a tough final for a bunch sprint".
Bennett's attack caught his fellow sprinters by surprise and he was easily able to hold off Danny van Poppel (LottoNL-Jumbo), with Niccolo Bonifazio (Bahrain-Merida) in third.
Six days after becoming the first Irish cyclist to win a stage of the Giro d'Italia since 1987, Sam Bennett has gone and claimed another huge result.
Bennett, victor of the seventh stage last Friday at Praia Mare, broke away in the final 400 metres at the end of the 214km flat and twisty stage that finished on the Imola motor racing circuit.
The stage was meant to be a relatively easy one before the race hits the mountains this weekend.
Slovenian Matej Mohoric, impressive in the descent following the final climb, and Colombian Carlos Betancur made a break but were reeled in with 500 metres to go.
The early five-man breakaway with riders from three Italian teams - Marco Frapporti, Jacopo Mosca, Eugert Zhupa, Mirco Maestri and Manuel Senni - were also caught by the peloton 20km from the line.
A string of attacks followed from BMC Racing Team's Rohan Dennis, Bennett and UAE Team Emirates' Diego Ulissi.
Mohoric bridged the gap to the leaders shortly after and they dropped Ulissi but had a gap of just four seconds heading into the race circuit for the second and final time.
Another mainly flat stage is scheduled for Friday, a 180-kilometer leg from Ferrara to Nervesa della Battaglia before the race heats up again with a climb up Monte Zoncolan on Saturday and a grueling leg through the Dolomite Range on Sunday.
- Meghan Markle and Prince Harry's Bridesmaids and Pageboys Were Just Announced
- Congress stakes claim to form government in Manipur
- Blast in Nowshera
- Sony makes it easier to use Google Assistant on existing headphones
- Golan Heights residents in bomb shelters after rocket siren activated
- Jets WR Robby Anderson has resisting arrest charges dropped
- Trading Psychology - Nuance Communications, Inc. (NUAN), Box, Inc. (BOX)
- Mobileye to supply systems for 8m cars to European co
- United States births sink to lowest number in 30 years, CDC says
- Congress, RJD for Karna model in Goa, Manipur and Bihar