According to a report published in Hindustan Times, the Kerala government has also demanded that the control of dams and reservoirs should lie with the states as opposed to the Cauvery Management Board. Various pujas were performed on the Cauvery riverbed praying for a good and early monsoon, both in Tamil Nadu and Karnataka, so that farmers from the states would have enough water to execute agricultural activities, Pon Radhakrishnan said.
The state will submit its views on the scheme to the apex court on May 16.
The bench, also comprising Justices A M Khanwilkar and D Y Chandrachud, did not accept the vehement submission of senior advocate Shyam Divan, representing Karnataka, that finalisation of the draft Cauvery scheme be put on hold till the first week of July as the process of government formation was on in the state.
"It was the Centre which has to set up the draft scheme", the court said while rejecting the plea. However, the Supreme Court has also asked the Centre to file a modified scheme by Thursday. The Tamil Nadu government must submit a detailed note to the Supreme Court judges explaining the discrepancies in the scheme, he said. It had on May 8 summoned the Secretary of Union Water Resources Ministry to bring along with him the draft. The Centre, however, told the Supreme Court that it had failed to meet the May 3 deadline because Prime Minister Narendra Modi and the other ministers were busy with the Assembly elections in Karnataka.
The changes were suggested after the Centre had submitted a draft scheme on the implementation of the Cauvery waters verdict.
Tamil Nadu All Farmers Association Coordinator P.R. Pandian said that the Centre's action was absolutely against the interests of Tamil Nadu and was heavily in favour of Karnataka.
The apex court had slammed the central government for the "sheer contempt" of its orders by not framing a scheme to distribute Cauvery water among Tamil Nadu, Karnataka, Kerala, and Puducherry.
- Everton Sack Sam Allardyce As Manager
- Assange Hacked Ecuador Embassy Comms System, Set Up Own Internet
- Article 35A comes in the way of J&K non-permanent residents appearing…
- 'Bhavesh Joshi Superhero' to release on June 1
- OPPO unveils its sub-brand 'Realme 1' in India
- Trump on Paris attack
- Gaza hospitals struggle to cope with numbers of wounded protesters
- Girl, 11, killed when tree falls on vehicle in Newburgh
- On June, 6 Tailored Brands, Inc. (TLRD) EPS Estimated At $0.47
- NASA's Mars Cube One takes photo of Earth and Moon