It aired for five seasons before the Weinstein Company made a decision to move it to Lifetime.
The Heidi Klum-hosted show premiered on Bravo in 2004, airing its first five seasons on the network before moving to A&E-owned Lifetime due to negotiations by the Weinstein Company, who owned the series. However, A+E, arguing a breach of the agreement, formally axed its deal with the company this past January after sexual assault claims against Weinstein Company co-founder Harvey Weinstein came to light. The Weinstein Company filed for bankruptcy in March, and Bravo Media LLC and Lantern Entertainment LLC's bid to acquire the assets of The Weinstein Company - including Project Runway - was approved by the bankruptcy court in May.
"We are beyond excited to reboot "Project Runway" at the network where it all began", said Frances Berwick, president of Lifestyle Networks at NBCUniversal Cable Entertainment, in a statement touting the news. In the 11 seasons on Lifetime's air, the show has given rise to a handful of spin-offs, including Project Runway All-Stars, Under the Gunn, Project Runway: Threads, Project Runway: Junior, and Project Runway: Fashion Startup.
In a "reservation of rights" filing [PDF] on April 3, A+E says that on November 1, 2017, it "sent TWC a letter putting it on notice that Mr. Weinstein's actions, which were reportedly known by TWC, constituted material breaches and defaults under the Project Runway Agreement".
Now Project Runway will be back for Season 17 on Bravo. According to The Hollywood Reporter, a recent acquisition deal means that "PR" will indeed make it work once again.
As part of the deal, Bravo has sealed a deal with Lantern to develop other unscripted projects for Bravo and other networks in the NBCUniversal Cable Entertainment portfolio.
- Are Analysts Bullish about HSBC Holdings plc (LON:HSBA) after last week?
- Earnings Prediction Review: Nokia Corporation (NOK)
- US Silica Holdings INC (SLCA) Shareholder Icon Advisers INC Decreased Stake
- Global Small Wind Turbines Market 2018 By Key Players - Nanjing Oulu, Britwind , HY Energy, XZERES, WinPower
- ABC wasn't 'confident about the creative path' for 'Designated Survivor'
- NY 3-year-old on life support after beating
- Deadpool 2's most shocking post-credits scene was cut
- Morgan Stanley Increases H&R Block (NYSE:HRB) Price Target to $30.00
- What Analysts Recommend on Papa John's Intl (PZZA)?
- Third Point Reinsurance (TPRE) Downgraded to C at TheStreet