According to the same story, the Red Devils have "intensified" their interest in signing Fred over the last month as they look to bolster their squad this summer.
The former Internacional star arrived at the Ukrainian giants for €15 million in 2013 and has gone on to make nearly 100 league appearances for the club.
Fred gave interview to Brazilian TV channel SporTV on Tuesday confirming that he wants to leave Shakhtar at the end of the season, but also saying that things should only be sorted after he returns from the World Cup. "I've been working well here but it has been five years". I have dreams of playing in major clubs in Europe.
Regarded by many observers as the key figure in a Shakhtar side that has just secured back-to-back Ukrainian Premier League and Cup doubles, Fred is keen to develop his career at one of western Europe's leading clubs.
SPORTVManchester United transfer target Fred revealed his decision to leave Shakhtar Donetsk on SporTV
"I think I have to change a little. And of course, some of the players I am totally convinced are going to make it, some others I have good hopes that they are going to make it, and some others I don't believe they are going to make it".
Should he enjoy an impressive tournament for the Selecao, his departure from Shakhtar will likely become even more likely but also potentially more complicated. I have a contract until 2021.
With Thiago Motta being 35 years old and Lassana Diarra 33, Paris Saint-Germain intend to sign a new dynamic defensive midfielder to partner Adrien Rabiot, which had led the Ligue 1 giants to identify Fred as a crucial summer target. However, as per Manchester Evening News, United will still have to battle PSG for the 25-year-old.
Fred already has two of the biggest clubs in the world pursuing him, and Shakhtar will be eager to make as much money from their prize asset as possible, especially given he is contracted to the club to 2023.
- Karnataka Assembly election results 2018
- Google Chrome team rolls back the update that muted many web games
- 'Black Panther' Star Chadwick Boseman Gives "Wakanda Forever" Salute At Howard Graduation
- Andres Iniesta to likely quit Spain after World Cup
- Trump says he's withdrawing from Iran nuclear accord
- Nationalise the railways: East Coast train line entering public control
- Lionel Messi Included in Barcelona Squad for Friendly vs. Mamelodi Sundowns
- Celtics push LeBron, Cavs into 0-2 hole
- MSCI unveils 234 Chinese stocks for key index
- Securities Analyst Recommendations: Star Bulk Carriers Corp. (SBLK), Stamps.com Inc. (STMP)