A survey conducted by the Centre for Media Studies (CMS), based out of New Delhi, has found that the recent elections in Karnataka were the "most expensive ever" assembly polls in terms of money spent by political parties and their candidates.
The prohibitory orders across Karnataka will remain in place till Tuesday midnight.
Police have banned celebrations and bursting of crackers around 38 counting centres; additional forces have been deployed.
Of the 58,008 polling stations across the state, 12,002 were labelled "critical", and over 3,50,000 polling personnel were on duty during the day. Kumar said the 2013 Assembly polls had recorded a turnout of 71.45 per cent, which was the highest in the last six Assembly elections.
"Hoskote and Ramanagaram, adjacent constituencies to the city, have recorded over 80% turnout, and have clean electoral rolls unlike the city. By midnight, the figures showed that it was 72.13 per cent", Kumar said.
Women and young voters had taken part in large numbers, he added.
Karnataka is going to be the fifth state where Voter Verified Paper Audit Trail (VVPAT)-enabled Electronic Voting Machines (EVMs) will be used to cast votes. It was 65 per cent in 2008 and 2004, 69 per cent in the 1989 and 1994 and 69 per cent in the 1990 elections, he said. The total voters including service electors according to the 2018 final rolls are 5,06,90,538, of whom 2,56,75,579 are male voters, 2,50,09,904 females and 5,055 transgender voters.
Polling for R R Nagar seat was deferred on account of alleged electoral malpractices, while it was countermanded in Jayanagar seat following the death of the BJP candidate.
While an eatery is offering free dosa and coffee, an internet café has offered free internet for voters and discount for first-time voters.
Voting for 222 of the 224 assembly constituencies began across Karnataka at 7 am today.
- Google Chrome team rolls back the update that muted many web games
- Top Novartis Executive Retires Over $1.2 Million Payment To Michael Cohen
- Premier League transfer window will open a month earlier than usual
- In Cannes, Spike Lee lambasts Trump over Charlottesville
- (TRI) To Go Ex-Dividend on May 16th
- Celtics push LeBron, Cavs into 0-2 hole
- Netgear Releasing Arlo Security Light
- Fuel prices hike: Rahul Gandhi accuses Narendra Modi of fooling people
- John Travolta shows off dance moves onstage with 50 Cent
- SC rejects Karnataka's plea to adjourn hearing in Cauvery water sharing