The footage later shows the man climbing out the same window and shutting it behind him, before jumping over the fence and fleeing.
According to police, the eight-year-old girl was asleep in her bed in the Sydney suburb of Kingsford when a man climbed through her window between 2:45am to 2:55am.
After the man made his escape, the girl told her mother what had happened, and she immediately called the police. "The description that we have is that it is a British or Australian accent", she said.
He was wearing a dark hooded jumper and cargo trousers and was last seen running down Barker Street near the University of NSW towards McDonald's, Superintendent Karen McCarthy told reporters in Sydney on Wednesday.
NSW Police superintendent Karen McCarthy described it as a "rare but obviously serious incident".
A large-scale police operation is underway to find the man.
The man was last seen running towards McDonald's on Barker Street, police said.
She said teams were canvassing the area, including the streets surrounding the property and urged anyone with CCTV footage or information from up to two weeks ago, to come forward.
- Chile: Students Endorse BDS amid Israel's Massacre in Gaza
- Yogi Aditynath's chopper makes emergency landing in Kasganj, CM safe
- Digital Door Lock Market 2018 to 2023
- Angels' Keynan Middleton Has Damaged Right UCL
- Microsoft (MSFT) Price Target Raised to $118.00 at Evercore ISI
- A2 shares dive on disappointing guidance
- Schlumberger (SLB) Position Increased by Jacobs & Co. CA
- Yogi Adityanath receives Nepal pilgrims in Ayodhya
- 4 shot dead in attack on Indonesia police; officer killed
- City of Arlington out of bid for Amazon HQ2