But after offering an incentive package worth almost a billion dollars and a full break on business and personal property taxes for a decade, the city announced that it was "no longer moving forward in the selection process".
The Austin and Dallas regions - the Dallas bid included individual proposals from more than two dozen North Texas cities, apparently including Arlington - were named in January among the 20 finalists for the project, whittled down from an original pool of more than 200. The city says it "remains very supportive" of the region's ongoing effort to land the headquarters. That job number is almost twice the figure Amazon has put forth, meaning the city is likely including in its count the service jobs that would be created to support the influx of new employees. "The company created a thoughtful selection process".
In a packet released to the media Tuesday, the City outlined how it planned to repurpose the space where the current Globe Life Park stands into the second Amazon headquarters complex.
Arlington is now looking for other options for the future of Globe Life Park. It is primed for a continued substantive commercial presence in Arlington.
The size of the performance-based incentive package directly correlated to the size of the investment being proposed by Amazon and would have only been fully implemented had Amazon fulfilled its commitment to invest $5 billion and create 50,000 high-paying jobs in Arlington. Arlington was also offering a grant to help pay for redevelopment, and the creation of a municipal management district, which would allow for tax-exempt bonds to fund infrastructure for Amazon's headquarters. Time and time again, whether it's convincing GM to build an assembly plant or recruiting a Major League Baseball team to Arlington, we are the place where dreams become reality.
The city, which is located between Dallas and Fort Worth, said its 10-year economic model indicated the project could bring more than 96,000 permanent jobs, nearly $50 billion in salaries and wages and nearly $4 billion in taxable sales.
The City's proposal to Amazon incorporates part of the remaining structure of Globe Life Park into the HQ2 complex.
- Digital Door Lock Market 2018 to 2023
- Kinross Gold Corp (KGC) Stake Decreased by Kopernik Global Investors Llc
- A2 shares dive on disappointing guidance
- Slavisa Jokanovic has a special word for Fulham's Ryan Sessegnon
- Reds will mount title challenge: Pep
- LeBron James Held To One Of His Worst Playoff Games Ever
- Ascena Retail Group Inc (NASDAQ:ASNA) Institutional Investor Positioning Change
- Angels' Keynan Middleton Has Damaged Right UCL
- Iran's talks with European countries to save the nuclear deal
- Manchester City keen on signing Jorginho from Napoli