Inc and Whole Foods Market are making a surgical strike in the already brutal grocery price war.
Amazon, which purchased Whole Foods past year, is offering its Prime members an additional 10% off sale items when they shop at Whole Foods. Amazon cut prices on many items at Whole Foods upon completing the acquisition a year ago, as part of its broader push into physical retail stores.
So far, the perks are available in Florida and will roll out to all other stores starting this summer.
"This new Prime benefit at Whole Foods market is a ideal pairing of healthy and delicious food at even more affordable prices", said Cam Sibay, Vice president, Amazon prime.
The new loyalty strategy will test whether Amazon's $13.7 billion deal for Whole Foods brings much-feared disruption and an intensified price war to the $800 billion USA grocery industry dominated by Walmart Inc. and Kroger Co. He declined to offer specifics. It also offers 5 percent back on all Whole Foods purchases to customers with the Amazon Prime credit card.
Amazon CEO Jeff Bezos last month disclosed the number of Prime members publicly for the first time, saying the program has more than 100 million members globally. To get the discount, Prime members will have to scan the Whole Foods app at checkout, after signing into the app with their Prime membership.
To get the benefits, Prime members will need to download the Whole Foods app on their phone and input their Prime information.
While Whole Foods' prices on staples like rotisserie chicken, bananas and avocados have come down, she still thinks some every day items are prohibitively expensive.
- Frances Bean Loses Kurt Cobain's Iconic 'MTV Unplugged' Guitar to Ex-Husband
- Yogi Aditynath's chopper makes emergency landing in Kasganj, CM safe
- Microsoft (MSFT) Price Target Raised to $118.00 at Evercore ISI
- German growth slows to 0.3 pct in first quarter on weak trade
- A2 shares dive on disappointing guidance
- LeBron James Held To One Of His Worst Playoff Games Ever
- Sony Music Buys $185M Stake In 'Peanuts' Brand
- An All-Female "Black Panther" Movie? Ryan Coogler's Down For It.
- Ivanka Trump in hot water over blessing from controversial rabbi
- Treasure Island Music Festival makes a triumphant return for 2018