Police remove the bodies of attackers who were shot and killed at the entrance of a police station in Pekanbaru, Indonesia, Wednesday in this photo taken by Antara Foto.
Several masked men attacked the Riau Police headquarters at around 9 a.m. on Wednesday with sharp weapons and firearms, killing one police officer and injuring another.
"Four have been shot to death and one fled", said spokesman Setyo Wasisto.
He says a fifth man, who drove the vehicle, was arrested.
TV footage showed one man lying on the ground with a long sword next to his body.
A number of terrorist attacks have occurred in Indonesia in recent days targeting churches and police stations.
In a message carried on its Amaq news agency, Islamic State has claimed responsibility for the attacks in Surabaya.
Police fielded a bomb squad team to inspect the attackers' vehicle. Media were at the station to cover a press conference about a drug bust when the attack happened. Another police officer and a journalist were also wounded in the sword attack.
The suicide bombings, involving families with young children, and an explosion at an apartment where militants were suspected to have been constructing bombs have left around 30 people dead, including 13 suspected perpetrators, police said.
The church bombing family - whose father was named a local JAD leader - and two other families linked to this week's attacks knew each other and were part of the same Koran study group, police said.
- Eating yoghurt 'reduces symptoms of chronic inflammation'
- Ascena Retail Group Inc (NASDAQ:ASNA) Institutional Investor Positioning Change
- Former GWPD chief to lead Charlottesville Police Department
- Federal Appeals Court Will Soon Rule On Decision To End DACA
- Sony Music Buys $185M Stake In 'Peanuts' Brand
- Yogi Adityanath receives Nepal pilgrims in Ayodhya
- A2 shares dive on disappointing guidance
- Digital Door Lock Market 2018 to 2023
- 'Zero concern' as James says Cavs will bounce back
- Microsoft (MSFT) Price Target Raised to $118.00 at Evercore ISI