But manager Joachim Low, who has extended his contract to 2022, names the world-class keeper along with Barcelona's Marc-Andre ter Stegen, Bayer Leverkusen's Bernd Leno and PSG stopper Kevin Trapp.
World Cup-winning goalscorer, Mario Gotze has also been left out of Germany's squad.
The Bayern Munich goalkeeper, and Germany number 1 goalkeeper, Manuel Neuer who has been injured for the majority of the season has been assessed by his country's medical staff before the tournament.
However, Loew pulled a surprise by handing a first call-up to Freiburg striker Nils Petersen, 29, the top-scoring German in the Bundesliga this season with 15 goals.
"Then we want to get a full idea, talk to him frankly and honestly, asking 'is it possible to play at the World Cup?'"
Defenders: Matthias Ginter (Borussia Monchengladbach), Jonas Hector (Cologne), Jerome Boateng, Mats Hummels, Niklas Sule and Joshua Kimmich (all Bayern Munich), Marvin Plattenhardt (Hertha Berlin), Antonio Rudiger (Chelsea, England), and Jonathan Tah (Bayer Leverkusen).
Germany head coach Joachim Low has selected four Premier League players including Arsenal's Mesut Ozil and Chelsea's Antonio Rudiger along with Manchester City's Leroy Sane and Ilkay Gundogan.
Germany will start their World Cup campaign on 17 June, with Mexico, Sweden and South Korea in their group F.
- Israel claims military supremacy after pounding Iranian targets in Syria
- Enbridge Energy Management (NYSE:EEQ) Lowered by Zacks Investment Research
- Naby Keita looks delighted in Liverpool scarf after RB Leipzig farewell
- Senate: We'll allow Senator Omo-Agege to resume
- Family realizes its 'puppy' is actually black bear
- Anushka Compliments Deepika For Her Cannes Look
- Turkey's Erdogan to meet with Queen Elizabeth
- Bella Hadid Responds to Those Who Think She's a Partier!
- German stars Ozil and Gundogan under fire for posing with Turkish President
- Karnataka Polls 2018: What happens in case of a hung assembly?