The new company, Elysis, will receive funding totaling Canadian $188 million ($146 million) and will be headquartered in Montreal with a research facility in Quebec's Saguenay-Lac-Saint-Jean region.
Alcoa Corporation and Rio Tinto Aluminum have formed a new joint venture called Elysis that is working to further develop and share a process for creating aluminum that uses a method which releases oxygen instead of greenhouse gases. They appointed Rio executive Vincent Christ to head the venture, to be named Elysis. While Alcoa and Rio are developing the technology, which they plan to put on sale beginning in 2024, Apple said it "helped facilitate" the collaboration and will provide technical support.
Apple uses a lot of aluminum in its products.
Aluminum is one of the most commonly used materials in Apple products, and also one of the company's largest remaining sources of toxic emissions - a result of the metal smelting process.
"Apple is committed to advancing technologies that are good for the planet and help protect it for generations to come", CEO Tim Cook said. "We are proud to be part of this ambitious new project, and look forward to one day being able to use aluminum produced without direct greenhouse gas emissions in the manufacturing of our products". Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau, Quebec Premier Philippe Couillard and Apple Senior Director Sarah Chandler attended the announcement in Saguenay, Quebec.
About the Aluminium Association of Canada (www.aluminium.ca/en) The Aluminium Association of Canada (AAC) is a non-profit organization representing three Canadian world-class aluminium producers: Alcoa, Alouette, and Rio Tinto operating ten smelters in Canada, nine of which are in Quebec, and employing over 8,000 workers.
Alcoa has developed the technology, which is protected by 40 patent families and is ready for scale-up.
"Through this alliance and this unprecedented combined effort, Rio Tinto and Alcoa are helping Canada's aluminium industry to reposition itself as a global leader in low-carbon aluminium production".
- Where will the 2019 NFL Draft be? Nashville reportedly the 'leading contender'
- Omar slams Mehbooba after BJP rejects 'unilateral ceasefire' during Ramadan, Amarnath Yatra
- Bad Boys 3 Finally Has A Release Date
- Sensex ends 73 points lower; pharma, metal stocks drag
- Universal to upgrade its dinosaur ride to 'Jurassic World'
- 'Rick and Morty' Scores 70-Episode Order at Adult Swim
- Kendall Jenner Thinks It's Weird Her Sister Kylie Has A Baby
- Rudy Giuliani States Michael Cohen' Problems have to do with Donaldtrump
- Ford, Wood, Quinn: 'We will continue to support' HC Matt Patricia
- Castleview Partners LLC Takes Position in Energy Transfer Equity (ETE)