However, Gareth Bale produced an excellent curling shot to better Messi's and draw Real level at 2-2. "It's fantastic to be in a Champions League final for the third time in a row and have the chance to win it for the fourth time in the last five years", Real midfielder Toni Kroos said on Tuesday.
"I'm not the one who decides", Zidane said on Saturday. They played well and so did we.
However, they will face a stern test from Cristiano Ronaldo's Real Madrid, who will be hoping to inflict a defeat on their archrivals to stop them from taking another step towards La Liga's first unbeaten season.
For the first time since 2013, Barca and Real did battle with the LaLiga crown already wrapped up, leaving pride, and the Catalan giants' unbeaten run, on the line.
Barcelona's players remained on the pitch after the game to celebrate their double success with the home fans, having clinched the title last week at Deportivo La Coruna and won the King's Cup final against Sevilla on April 21.
Madrid is focused on trying to win a third straight Champions League to salvage an otherwise disappointing campaign.
"Our work with the players so far has been more than anything emotional".
"Andres Iniesta has got recognition from everyone because of what he's given Barca and Spanish football, which is a lot, " Valverde said. "We started well, but the goals came quickly and the bookings hurt us".
Ronaldo appeared to shake off the injury.
Suarez's blatant kick on Raphael Varane went unpunished and from there it was all about Messi. For 20 minutes between Messi scoring and Bale's goal, Real were utterly devoid of attacking ideas. "Winning the league is the most glamorous and most complicated achievement". I'm not the one to decide if we do it.
Getafe's Europa League dreams are still alive after Angel Rodriguez scored an 88th minute victor at Las Palmas.
Before the first half spiralled out of control, with three yellows and a red being dished out in quick succession, both sides created a few chances in an evenly-contested affair.
In between, Messi had played in Jordi Alba with a sumptuous ball over the top but even he lost his cool during five mad minutes at the end of the first period.
Then, just two minutes later, Angel struck the post, and it seemed that Getafe's were going to rue those missed opportunities.
- Puigdemont to Be Once Again Nominated as Candidate for Catalan Presidency
- Waffle House Victim Honored At College Graduation
- The Coca-Cola Company (KO) Shares Bought by Investec Asset Management LTD
- Active Stocks in Review: Teva Pharmaceutical Industries Limited (TEVA), Apple Inc. (AAPL)
- Sunny, warmer weather in store for this weekend || Daniel Starks
- UAE deploys troops to Yemen's Socotra island
- Wells Fargo Championship: Late birdies help Jason Day secure season's second win
- 21st Century Fox (FOXA) Expected to Announce Earnings of $0.52 Per Share
- Nude Way to See Art? Paris Museum Welcomes Naked Visitors
- Rashtriya Lok Dal and Samajwadi Party have made a decision to join hands