Voters in West Tyrone go to the polls today in a by-election to elect a new MP.
The by-election was called following the resignation of Sinn Fein's Barry McElduff earlier this year.
Armed police rushed to the location after receiving a report of a man acting suspiciously in Crockanboy Road.
A 59-year-old man has been arrested on suspicion of carrying a firearm with intent to cause fear or alarm.
'The way that the staff dealt with it, I understand that other members of the public may have been unaware of the incident'.
Chief Electoral Officer Virginia McVea visited the polling station shortly after the incident to hear the details of what happened directly from the staff who witnessed it. She polled 16, 346 votes, nearly 8000 ahead of her nearest rival, Tom Buchanan of the DUP who finished with 8,390 votes.
Polling booths opened at 7am this morning, Thursday 03 May, and will close at 10pm. The count is set to extend into the night.
The Carrickmore woman is the first female to represent the constituency at Westminster.
When voting at the 82 polling stations ends, the ballot boxes will be brought to Omagh, County Tyrone where counting will begin.
- Oil rises on Iran sanction worries
- Marouane Fellaini: Man United 'wrong' over contract situation
- Klopp: Liverpool's "Fire" Will Match Real Madrid's Experience
- Congress is a gold medalist in corruption: PM Modi
- Analysts Issue Forecasts for Nucor's Q2 2018 Earnings (NYSE:NUE)
- Scientists develop a new test to safely and accurately diagnose peanut allergies
- David Fizdale agrees to deal to become New York Knicks coach
- Change your Twitter passwords now
- Amazon offers to buy 60 percent in Flipkart
- Vampyr new gameplay trailer released, 'Becoming the Monster'