Per capita, New Mexico, Louisiana and Florida have the highest rate of fatal hit-and-run crashes while New Hampshire, Maine and Minnesota have the lowest rates.
A startling new report from AAA shows that hit-and-run crash deaths are at an all-time high with more than one happening every minute on USA roads.
A new study shows more than one hit-and-run occurs every minute on USA roads, even though all states have laws on the books making it illegal to leave the scene of the crash.
The study also found that 65 percent of people killed in hit-and-run crashes were pedestrians or bicyclists.
All those crashes resulted in 2,049 deaths in 2016 - the highest number on record and a 60 percent increase since 2009. In Connecticut, it said 68 people have been killed in hit-and-run crashes since the start of 2015 and another 371 victims suffered serious injuries. Police said the boy was pulling his wagon while going to a nearby park.
In Ohio, failing to stop after an accident is a misdemeanor.
"It's an eye-opening case study, the data are discouraging, but hopefully it is enough to open our eyes and have us be a little more alert on the road and pay attention for those pedestrians and cyclists", said Jake Nelson, AAA director of traffic safety, advocacy and research.
To complete the report, AAA analyzed data from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration for fatal crashes and the National Automotive Sampling System General Estimates System for nonfatal crashes.
A 2012 study found males make up about 70 percent of hit-and-run victims when a crash involves one auto and one pedestrian. If found guilty, drivers can face large fines, lose their license or spend time in prison.
The dangers of leaving the scene of an accident go far beyond the legal consequences. The stop shall be made without obstructing traffic more than is necessary.
- ICC tweets photo of Narendra Modi with Asaram, apologises later
- LPL Financial LLC Buys 1950 Shares of Martin Marietta Materials (NYSE:MLM)
- No World Cup 2018 for Ibrahimovic, says Swedish FA chief
- Google Doodle honors 'Flying Housewife' Fanny Blankers-Koen
- Hot Stock Overview: Vipshop Holdings Limited (NYSE:VIPS)
- Nexstar Media Group (NXST) Given Average Rating of "Buy" by Analysts
- Debbie's Deals: National Pretzel Day deals for April 26
- B-town celebs party hard with Zoya Akhtar
- CH Robinson's (NASDAQ:CHRW) Hold Rating Reiterated at Robert W. Baird
- Prince Harry has officially named Prince William as his best man