Hector's previous deal included a get-out clause in the event of relegation, but he opted to commit his long-term future to the club, despite reported interest from Liverpool, Bayern Munich and Borussia Dortmund.
Cologne's defender and Germany global Hector has different approach to the situation as he extended his running contract despite a very likely relegation with eight points to safety and nine points to spare.
"The decision for me is clear: I belong to [Cologne] and I want to go into the new season with this team and with these fans".
Hector would not be setting a precedent if he plays for Cologne in the second division. "I am very connected and thankful to this club and feel very comfortable living in Cologne", Hector said.
'It would have been easy to change to another club after this season, but for me that did not feel right.
Hector joined Cologne from lower league side Auersmacher in 2010 to become the skipper of defense.
He made his senior worldwide debut against Gibraltar in November 2014 and was part of the squad that reached the semifinals at Euro 2016 and the one that won last year's Confederations Cup.
The defender made overall 172 appearances for Cologne and provided six goals and 11 assists.
"Jonas is an extraordinary player and a special individual which is rarely to find in today's professional football". Cologne sporting director Armin Veh says it's "a great signal". "That he has chosen to continue on this path with us despite being a German worldwide player is a telling testament to that".
Anything other than a win at Freiburg on Saturday will send them down after three years back in the Bundesliga.
- Central Bank Reviewing Ulster Bank Glitch After Cash Wiped
- Malaysia finds motorcycle allegedly used in shooting of Palestinian scientist
- Trump Increasingly Using Cell Phone To Bypass Kelly's Authority
- QUIZ: How quickly can you name all 18 of the Marvel movies?
- Analyst Commentary On Ross Stores, Inc. (ROST), Fluor Corporation (FLR)
- "Unpatchable" Nintendo Switch Bug Lets Hackers Fullfill Their Wild Dreams
- Scarlett Johansson's daughter thinks she's a real-life superhero
- Airtel Q4 Net Profit Tumbles 78 Per Cent to Rs 83 Crore
- 5-year-old boy claims teachers taped his mouth shut
- The Hartford (HIG) Receiving Positive Media Coverage, Analysis Finds