Jetstar also cancelled two return flights from the Gold Coast, while Tigerair were reported to have cancelled at least one flight and said 16 other services would be delayed due to the fog.
This isn't really the best way to start your Monday morning... many flights out of Sydney to Melbourne have been cancelled this morning.
A spokesman for Qantas said: 'We're experiencing some delays and cancellations due to thick fog. "There have been planes getting in this morning and planes have prepared themselves carrying extra fuel in case they need to make a few attempts to land".
The city is shrouded in thick grey fog for the second time in just three days after similar weather conditions swept through Melbourne on Friday.
"When visibility is reduced, it's bound to impact traffic a bit", Newham said.
VicRoads is urging motorists to take care on the roads, with some motorists reporting they can only see 50 metres in front of them at Tullamarine.
Melbourne Airport had issued flight restrictions for the airlines for Monday morning, based on the forecast.
- Aged-care homes required to provide flu jab to staff
- Australian boy tricks family to fly to Bali alone
- Ares Cap Corp (ARCC) Holder Bruni JV & Company Has Lifted Position
- Stars Group acquiring Sky Betting & Gambling in $4.7 billion deal
- Greg Hardy to make pro MMA debut, could sign contract with UFC
- Scripps Networks Interactive, Inc. (SNI) Shares Bought by Teachers Advisors LLC
- WikiLeaks calls for Coinbase boycott after ban from cryptocurrency exchange
- Drug take-back April 28
- TPD looking for armed robbery suspect
- Analysts Set Liberty Global (LBTYA) Target Price at $42.05