Today, the council agreed to organise a short-term contractor to take the city's recycling.
"In the meantime, Rockhampton will continue to offer the kerbside recycling service and work through the challenges but, as I've said, this is something Council can not solve on its own".
The council said it would cost $2 million a year to comply with China's tighter imported recycling regulations.
Other councils around Australia will have to face similar decisions as recycling stockpiles reach limits.
He explained contamination rates were becoming more important for the Rockhampton region to hold onto its kerbside recycling service.
Ipswich's contamination rate was sitting at 52%, the council says, compared to 7% in Brisbane City Council.
Mr Antoniolli said the council's predicament only arose because its waste collection contract was up for renewal.
"While council can do its part, the community has a vital role to play and there has never been a more important time than now to make sure you are recycling properly", Cr Fisher said.
'I have spoken personally to the minister on this issue, and made it clear that we've been backed into a corner on recycling, ' a statement from Mr Antoniolli said.
"The China decision will not have a bearing on cost for our service and people should continue using their yellow lidded bins as usual". "At present there are quite simply too many pizza boxes, plastic bags, burger wrappers and other items not fit for recycling", Mr Antoniolli said in an open letter to the people of Ipswich, cited by the ABC. "This is a complex series of issues which includes waste contamination, cost, and a vision to the future for our city".
"Australia needs a long term national solution to recycling".
- Chevy Corvette ZR1 will pace the 2018 Indianapolis 500
- Brabham releases another BT62 teaser
- 'Chat' Will Be Messaging On Android's Big Upgrade
- Japanese Volcano Erupts for First Time in 250 Years
- This election about Hindus vs Muslims: BJP MLA
- Missiles over DamascusAmerica, Britain and France strike Syria
- What Are Analysts Report About FireEye, Inc. (FEYE)
- Former FBI director James Comey's memos have been released to Congress
- Apple CEO Believes Users Don't Want iOS and macOS to Merge
- Connecticut Water Service, Inc. (CTWS) Stock Price Hits All Time High Today