Alvarez tested positive for clenbuterol back in February and his scheduled May 5 rematch against Gennady Golovkin has been cancelled due to the ongoing situation.
Because of the positive samples, that rematch was scrapped for its intended May 5 date, and Golovkin earlier Wednesday struck a deal to defend two of his belts against Vanes Martirosyan at StubHub Center.
All this has followed the judging of the first Canelo-GGG fight in Vegas as a draw, which constituted a scandalous robbery of Golvkin who clearly won in most eyes, mine included, One consideration may be that a longer ban would also have inadvertently punished Golovkin, who was deprived of a huhr pay-night when the rematch was called off.
In the settlement statement, the NSAC said the former two-weight world champion had co-operated with the investigation and thus his ban had been backdated to the first time he tested positive, meaning he can return to the ring from August 17.
Canelo Alvarez agreed to a six-month suspension and the Nevada Athletic Commission unanimously approved that agreement Wednesday, opening the way for him to fight Gennady Golovkin on September 15 in a rematch that had originally been scheduled for May 5. Khan said: 'I'm pleased he's been a bit respectful this time but I will beat him'.
'I must prove to the world that I still have all it takes to a champion and, at 31, I have more big fights left in me'.
"I am truly shocked about what has happened, and for those who have doubts and suspicions about my integrity I have always been and always will be a clean fighter", Alvarez said.
Mexican boxing superstar Canelo Alvarez suspended for six months for doping violations, eligible to return in September. "Golovkin versus Martirosyan will definitely be the fiesta de résistance of Cinco De Mayo". "I do believe in my heart I'm going to beat (Golovkin) because he's never fought someone with my style".
Loeffler said Golovkin could be ready for a September date with Alvarez. "If Triple-G is successful May 5, then the biggest fight in the sport of boxing is still Triple-G and Canelo, and that's the fight we would try to make".
- NFL Draft Rumors: New England Patriots eyeing Josh Rosen
- Kanpur PhD student hangs himself in college hostel; cause unknown
- Bergeron out for Bruins in Game 4 against Maple Leafs
- Nevsun Resources Ltd. (NSU), AVEO Pharmaceuticals, Inc. (AVEO)
- UN Security Team Comes Under Fire in Douma, Syria
- Warriors use second half surge to beat Spurs in Game 2
- Besiktas Manager Hospitalized After Abandoned Fenerbahce Clash
- Syria chemical weapons visit postponed after gunfire
- Qualcomm Cuts Jobs as It Seeks Chinese Approval for NXP M&A
- Hologic (HOLX) Upgraded to Sell at BidaskClub