Manchester United lost on Sunday afternoon to the bottom-placed West Bromwich Albion in Round 33 of the Premier League season, as Jay Rodriguez scored the only goal of the match midway through the second half.
Sitting deep and allowing the relegation certainties push forward with the ball was not the type of football expected following United's title-halting comeback against Manchester City last week, but this is not the first time Mourinho has suffered.
It was City's third title in seven seasons and easily its most convincing, with Pep Guardiola's team 16 points clear and still having five games to play this season.
Their match at Everton saw them retain 82.13% possession, the highest recorded in the Premier League, and they broke passing records, completing over 900 against Chelsea.
"We've won you the league, Manchester City, we've won you the league", sang West Brom's fans near the end of the game. "Today was a very bad day and we need to move on".
Mourinho, though, was quick to dampen talk that United had handed the title to City, insisting it is their dominance over the season that secured their coronation.
After a mixed first season in England, Guardiola faced questions about whether his methods were a good fit for the Premier League.
Prompted by the abject nature of the opening 45 minutes, Mourinho brought on Jesse Lingard at half-time and he was immediately in the heart of the action as United attempted to wake from their slumber.
"I trust in my work", he said.
And though Foster won't be at the World Cup in June, he could yet be in the Premier League with a new club next season. I know how to win, I believe in myself but I don't play. You win, of course, with quality, but with consistency in every level, not just the performance level but also the mental level. But while they won't have that moment of camaraderie in getting a result of winning the title, they still get the trophy at the end of the day. "One of the things we have to improve is consistency".
They had a legitimate goal threat in Romelu Lukaku. Matic was involved in an aerial struggle at the far post with Dawson as they contested a corner and the Serb was forced to knock his header back into the danger area.
"West Brom outworked them; they wanted to go out and hurt them". We didn't create enough chances to score and West Brom were fighting for survival. We were a complicated team and let them feel comfortable.
- (MSFT) Shares Bought by Norris Perne & French LLP MI
- US Is Considering New Economic Sanctions On Russia
- These 2 Stocks you Must See: CSX Corp. (CSX), Etsy, Inc. (ETSY)
- Nick Saban, Alabama Reportedly Blocked from Hiring Hugh Freeze by SEC
- Michael Avenatti Just Went Nuclear on 'Radioactive' Michael Cohen
- Sussex weather forecast for the week ahead
- Storm Irene to bring high winds and more rain
- Eminem performed with 50 Cent, Dr. Dre and more at Coachella 2018
- Regions Financial (NYSE:RF) Receiving Somewhat Positive News Coverage, Accern Reports
- Former Mossad Chief: We're On a 'Collision Course with Iran