According to local reports, several missiles were launched after "unknown warplanes" entered Syrian airspace from Lebanon.
The recent incident follows a coordinated attack by the US, UK and France that saw over 100 missiles launched from US ships and UK Tornado fighter-bombers.
"None of the combined aircraft or missiles involved in this mission were successfully engaged by Syrian air defenses and there is no indication Russian air defense systems were deployed", EUCOM said in a press release.
The Syrian Observatory for Human Rights, a UK-based war monitor, reported that big explosions were heard near Shayrat airbase and two other airbases near Damascus.
The Pentagon said there was no U.S. military activity in the area at the time.
"We don't comment on such reports", an Israeli military spokesman told Reuters. According to various Arabic media channels, three missiles targeted Al Dumayr airport, but they were all allegedly downed by the Syrian air defenses.
The air strikes came in response to a suspected gas attack in Douma, outside Damascus, earlier this month in which the World Health Organization has said 43 people who died suffered "symptoms consistent with exposure to highly toxic chemicals".
Shayrat air base was targeted by USA forces in 2017 after a suspected chemical attack in Khan Sheikhoun that Washington blamed on the Syrian government.
The attack comes after reports of covert airstrikes carried out by Israeli forces at Iranian bases in the Jabal Azzan region south of Aleppo. Iran is a longstanding ally of Syrian President Bashar Assad.
- Liverpool 3-0 Bournemouth: Jurgen Klopp's men rated and slated
- New £60m government fund to tackle global plastic pollution
- Sussex weather forecast for the week ahead
- Jason Roy delivers match-winning innings for Delhi Daredevils
- Kim Zolciak Attempts to Apologize to RHOA Star NeNe Leakes
- Chinese market opened up to Irish beef
- Vermilion Energy Inc. (VET) EPS Estimated At $0.17
- UN Security Council Refuses to Condemn US Attack on Syria
- NVIDIA Corporation (NVDA) loses confidence of 73 hedge fund managers
- US Is Considering New Economic Sanctions On Russia