"We would much rather get back to a stage where Russian Federation worked with the rest of the P-5 and the Security Council to find a way to bring the Assad regime to the negotiating table, and get back into the political process, to have a cessation of hostilities, to dismantle the chemical weapons, and for there to be accountability", Pierce added.
"I'm sure this strike, which was a tactical and surgical success, has been a setback" for the Assad regime, Brennan said.
The comments were his first since the US, Britain, and France launched more than a hundred missiles against sites linked to his regime's chemical and biological warfare operations.
"It was done on targets that we believed were selected to hurt the chemical weapons program".
Haley, in her Fox News interview, also defended its use as a military term, rather than as a broader political statement.
"We of course know that our work in Syria is not done", Haley said. "We can't control what a country does to its people".
Addressing told the council, US Ambassador Nikki Haley said the United States was confident that the military strikes had crippled Syria's chemical weapons programme.
The Syrian Armed Forces later said the US and its Western allies fired a total of one-hundred-and-ten missiles from manned aircraft and ships.
In Damascus, Syrian Deputy Foreign Minister Faisal Mekdad met inspectors from the global chemical weapons watchdog Organisation for the Prohibition of Chemical Weapons (OPCW) for about three hours in the presence of Russian officers and a senior Syrian security official. Responding to the airstrikes, Putin on Saturday condemned what he called "an attack on Syria".
But Johnson stressed the "overwhelming purpose" of the mission was a response to a series of chemical attacks in recent years.
On Saturday, France, the United States and the United Kingdom handed over to their 12 Security Council partners a new draft resolution on Syria, which is reportedly expected to address the chemical weapons issue, as well as the political and humanitarian problems.
USA defense officials say they have high confidence chlorine gas was used and are still assessing evidence indicating the presence of sarin gas.
Russian President Vladimir Putin has warned that further Western attacks on Syria would bring chaos to world affairs.
The Syrian Foreign Ministry Saturday condemned what it called "the brutal American-British-French aggression. which constitutes a flagrant violation of global law".
- Newcastle claim massive win over Arsenal
- Delhi University students arrested for allegedly stalking Union minister Smriti Irani
- Thousands of Android apps are tracking your kids
- BMO Capital Markets Reaffirms Purchase Rating for Merck & Co., Inc. (MRK)
- Castlevania: Grimoire of Souls for iOS Announced
- Stocks within Assessment: Caesars Entertainment Corporation (CZR), Halliburton Company
- Bodies of Indian family missing in U.S. found
- Ubisoft Accidentally Confirmed Next Watch Dogs Title, Blame it on Sam
- Woman accused of murdering husband, 4 kids won't face death penalty
- April 17 is here: You have until midnight to file taxes