Heavy rains let up on Monday, which allowed emergency workers to rescue people stranded by flooding.
Kūhiō Highway near the Hanalei Bridge is open to the public as repairs to the bridge were completed this morning.
"At this time, it is still too early to estimate the extent of storm damage and costs", said Mayor Bernard Carvalho Jr. Emergency rescue crews have evacuated 152 people by helicopter, 121 by bus and others by water. Both Kauai and Honolulu firefighters, along with the Coast Guard, have been dispatched for rescue operations.
Logan said the National Guard would continue to monitor conditions on Kauai and confer with Kauai County officials to determine what additional assistance may be needed. They briefly ran out of food and water.
Emergency Operations Center partners
The Department of Education has announced that due to the need to address roof repairs, flooding issues and safety concerns, Hanalei Elementary School will continue to be closed on Tuesday, April 17, to allow for fix and clean-up of the school facilities. For now, we are urging people to stay off the roadway. Water and food for residents in those areas can be picked up at Camp Naue. Our first response team has also assessed the area and the major issue is the different rock falls and landslides all along from Wainiha - 6 or 7 of them.
The state Department of Transportation is working to clear mud and debris from at least eight landslides on Kuhio Highway. The school will reopen Wednesday. Residents in low-lying areas of Kalihiwai Valley were evacuated Saturday afternoon as a precaution because the dam was nearing capacity.
Meanwhile, the Kalihiwai Reservoir has been inspected and deemed safe, allowing residents to return, the county said.
In Hawaii, a buffalo roamed through a waterlogged yard after torrential downpours.
- Actress Sri Reddy Scolded Pawan Kalyan as Ma*****od
- India Bags 66 Medals at 2018 Commonwealth Games
- PM Lee to attend Commonwealth Heads of Government Meeting in London
- Pele Confident Neymar Can Lead Brazil To W/Cup Glory
- United States women, some unknown, dominate the field at cold, wet Boston Marathon
- Green Party calls for decriminalisation of cannabis in Ireland with new policy
- Tamil Nadu: Professor detained for 'luring' students, government orders high-powered inquiry
- Body of last missing Indian family member found in California river
- Janhvi Kapoor And Ishaan Khatter Wrap Up 'Dhadak'
- PHOTOS & VIDEOS: Drew McIntyre & Dolph Ziggler Invade WWE RAW