Sen. John McCain (R., Ariz.) underwent surgery at Phoenix's Mayo Clinic over the weekend due to an intestinal infection and is in "stable condition", according to an announcement from his office Monday evening.
The statement also included a progress report on McCain's treatment and condition while he's been recovering in his home state. But since December, the senator has been recovering from the effects of the treatment at his home in Arizona.
"Senator McCain and his family are grateful to the senator's excellent care team, and appreciate the support and prayers they continue to receive from people all over the country", his office said. "Senator McCain is now receiving treatment at Walter Reed Medical Center for normal side effects of his ongoing cancer therapy". While he's been away from Washington, he's continued to be involved with current events, including President Donald Trump's handling of Syria.
A statement said that Republican senator, who has been fighting brain cancer since a diagnosis previous year, is hospitalized in a "stable condition", The Washington Post reports.
Meghan McCain, the senator's daughter and a regular cohost on ABC's "The View", tweeted on Monday that her father was as strong as ever.
McCain, the long-time Republican Arizona senator and 2008 GOP presidential nominee, was diagnosed in July with brain cancer.
"My husband @SenJohnMcCain is doing well after his surgery", McCain's wife Cindy said in Twitter post, adding that he was looking forward to getting back home. It's a very poor prognosis. So I just said, "I understand".
Doctors say a glioblastoma is a particularly aggressive type of brain tumor that digs tentacle-like roots into normal brain tissue. The Senator and his family are reviewing further treatment options with his Mayo Clinic care team.
McCain returned to Congress and maintained a relatively regular congressional schedule through the fall, as he was undergoing chemotherapy and radiation treatments. Our thoughts remain with John and his family during his brain cancer battle.
- International Monetary Fund revises forecast on Azerbaijan's economic growth
- Colorado is One of the States Affected by Multi-Million Egg Recall
- Sea Of Thieves update roadmap revealed with The Hungering Deep
- Kathua rape: Jammu Bar Association faces flak
- Bertucci's closes LI location as part of chain's Chapter 11 bankruptcy filing
- Popovich: LaMarcus 'Has Been A Monster' And 'Plays Through Everything'
- Duke In The NBA: Weekend Playoff Wrap Up
- Manchester City to avoid ban from CAS
- April 17 is here: You have until midnight to file taxes
- Ex-FBI director's book that enraged Trump out today