In another report, local authorities said they were not treating the death as suspicious.
Friend Vyacheslav Bashkov, described Mr Borodin as a "principled, honest journalist" and said he had called him at five in the morning last week to claim there was "someone with a weapon on his balcony and people in camouflage and masks on the staircase landing".
A spokesman for the interior ministry for the Sverdlovsk region told CNN that Borodin's apartment was found locked from the inside, suggesting that "no one exited the apartment and most likely there were no strangers in there" at the time of his fall.
He said that Borodin was alarmed, but not hysterical or drunk.
Novy Den chief editor Polina Rumyantseva said Mr Borodin's death may not have been an accident or suicide.
An hour later, however, Borodin called back and said he had been mistaken and that the security officers were conducting some sort of drill.
"We were able to visit the apartment of Maxim, together with the police and forensic experts on Friday, the intermediate conclusion is that Maxim fell out of the balcony of his apartment where he probably was smoking", she said.
On February 7, the group made headlines when hundreds were killed in Syria in the first open confrontation with United States forces in more than 50 years after a manoeuvre took them across the dividing line between US-led and Russian-backed groups.
The group is reportedly bankrolled by Yevgeny Prigozhin, known as "Putin's chef" with links to the Kremlin.
Thousands of Wagner mercenaries are allegedly involved in military operations in Syria. As the New Yorker noted, it was the first time in half a century that Russian and US military forces had engaged in direct combat.
Only a dozen deaths were confirmed by Russian authorities, however Central Intelligence Agency director Mike Pompeo said that "a few hundred" Russians were killed.
Russia ranks first on the European Federation of Journalists list of countries with the highest number of journalists murdered in Europe.
"This story is not about how the regime kills one journalist who writes on inconvenient topics", Volkov wrote on Facebook.
But Harlem Desir, the representative for freedom of the media at the Organisation for Security and Co-operation in Europe said Borodin's death was "of serious concern".
- Kathua rape case: United Kingdom reiterates Modi stand that justice will be done
- $0.34 EPS Expected for Imperial Oil Limited (IMO) on April, 27
- Raytheon Company (RTN) EPS Estimated At $2.08
- Vanguard Intl Div Apprec Idx ETF (VIGI) Declines 0.4714% for April 13
- Wedbush Reaffirms "Outperform" Rating for Nike (NYSE:NKE)
- Enbridge (ENB) Coverage Initiated at Mizuho
- For France's Macron, Syria red lines were credibility test
- Country Trust Bank Sells 67293 Shares of Apple (AAPL)
- Party drug ketamine has 'fast-acting benefits' for depression
- Maple Leafs host Bruins for Game 3