Juventus legend Gianluigi Buffon, who was sent off in his side's clash with Real Madrid in the UEFA Champions League last week, has opened up about his controversial comments he made regarding referee Michael Oliver.
In a dramatic end to the match at the Bernabeu in Madrid on Wednesday, Juventus captain Buffon was sent off for confronting Oliver over the 93rd-minute penalty decision.
Deprived of what could likely be his last chance to lift the only major title missing from his collection the 2006 World Cup victor mercilessly blasted the referee after the game as "a murderer" for killing off Juventus' dreams with "a rubbish bin" in place of a heart. It was a week that allowed me to experience strong emotions, beautiful, pure adrenaline.
He said: "I'm sure Oliver will have a great career in future, but he's too young to officiate a match like that".
They defeated Sampdoria 3-0 on Sunday to move six points clear as they bounced back from their Champions League exit in midweek.
AC Milan goalkeeper Gianluigi Donnarumma was making his 100th Serie A appearance at 19 years and 49 days.
He told Italian television: "I don't have to make up for anything, because I am a human being who puts passion, sentiment and anger into what I do. It wasn't a situation where you can say it's a definite penalty".
"I have to defend my team-mates and fans, even in a not very composed fashion".
The BBC reported that Oliver's wife Lucy - a Women's Super League referee - had received threatening text messages after her mobile number was posted on social media.
- Securities Analyst Recommendations: Comstock Mining Inc. (LODE), IAMGOLD Corporation (IAG)
- Stormy To Release Sketch Of Man Who Threatened Her Over Trump - Lawyer
- Bertucci's closes LI location as part of chain's Chapter 11 bankruptcy filing
- Cambridge police officers filmed allegedly beating Harvard student Selorm Ohene
- DC Finds HARLEY QUINN/BIRDS OF PREY Director
- Baboons Escape Texas Research Facility
- Popovich: LaMarcus 'Has Been A Monster' And 'Plays Through Everything'
- Harassment, DWI, And Marijuana Among State Police Arrests
- International Monetary Fund revises forecast on Azerbaijan's economic growth
- Commonwealth Games success a boost before Asian Games: Mary Kom