Perhaps Linden's experience with inclement weather in MI helped give her a leg up with the rain, wind and cold in Boston Monday. The U.S. athlete was hoping to finally "make peace" with the Boston Marathon, which she was forced to forfeit previous year due to a bone fracture in her lower back.
Flanagan was even quoted to have said she wanted to win the 2018 Boston marathon "so badly" that she had to resort to reverse psychology in order to maintain focus. "And these are the people that I want to make the most proud", Flanagan added. That's the slowest time for a women's victor since 1978, the AP reports.
'It's supposed to be hard, ' said Linden, who wiped the spray of rain from her eyes as she made her way down Boylston Street alone.
Desiree Linden became the first American woman to win the Boston Marathon in 33 years Monday, ending a long US drought on a rain-soaked day.
Lisa Larsen Weidenbach's 1985 victory was the last for an American woman - before the race began offering prize money that lured the top worldwide competitors to the world's oldest and most prestigious annual marathon.
"I love this city, I love this race, I love this course", Linden told NBC.
"It's storybook", the victor of the 2018 Boston Marathon added.
The two-time Olympian and 2011 Boston runner-up pulled away at the end of Heartbreak Hill to finish in 2 hours, 39 minutes, 54 seconds. Professional distance runners Shalane Flanagan, Molly Huddle and Sara Sellers, among several others, joined Linden in the women's race, and Americans filled six of the top eight finishers. He finished the marathon in 2:15:58, winning the country's first Boston Marathon since 1987.
Canadian Krista Duchene finished in third place and was the only non-American runner to place in the top five.
- PM leaves for five-day visit to Sweden, UK, Germany
- Syria: missiles fired at air base near Homs
- Michael Avenatti Just Went Nuclear on 'Radioactive' Michael Cohen
- Bryce Harper hits broken bat home run
- Pacad Investment Ltd. Has $115000 Holding in Prudential Public Limited Company (PUK)
- Top 14 side Clermont respond to Paddy Jackson rumours
- Steinberg Global Asset Management Acquires 8298 Shares of Cisco Systems, Inc. (CSCO)
- (MSFT) Shares Bought by Norris Perne & French LLP MI
- Lookout for Intraday Move - Southwest Airlines Co., (NYSE: LUV)
- Two men in custody following armed robbery