Turns out that Kiermaier tore a ligament in his right thumb and the necessary operation is going to put him on the shelf for 8-12 weeks. The center fielder was sliding into second base when it happened and could be seen immediately getting up and shaking his hand out after.
This will be the third straight season that Kiermaier will miss extended time.
The club said surgery will be scheduled "in the coming days". Last season, for instance, he missed 61 games with a fractured right hip that he also injured on a slide.
Now without Kiermaier patrolling center, Tampa could give rookie Johnny Field the job or shift Carlos Gomez from right field to a spot where he's made 1,030 career starts.
The Rays have been in this position before, each of the last two years actually, waiting for test results but expecting bad news regarding an injury to centerfielder Kevin Kiermaier. "We are all exhausted of [Kiermaier] getting hurt and there's nothing he can do about".
Kiermaier, much like the Rays (3-12), was struggling through the start of the season batting.163 with one RBI. Right-handed reliever Chih-Wei Hu has been called up in his place.
"It's beyond frustrating", Cash said. The guy bobbles the ball.
- Tax Day 2018: Where you can cash in on freebies and deals
- Pacad Investment Ltd. Has $115000 Holding in Prudential Public Limited Company (PUK)
- Wife of Rod Blagojevich disappointed in court decision
- Star Stormy Daniels to Wait Trump lawyer's hearing
- Top 14 side Clermont respond to Paddy Jackson rumours
- Bryce Harper hits broken bat home run
- United crash to hand City the championship
- Syria: missiles fired at air base near Homs
- Russia: Syria chemical attack staged by foreign agents
- Lookout for Intraday Move - Southwest Airlines Co., (NYSE: LUV)