The Jets' future Ring of Honor inductee announced his retirement early Tuesday morning, putting an end to an 11-year career.
Mangold was a staple at the center position during his career in NY and made a total of seven Pro-Bowls, missing significant playing time just once in his career, in 2016 while nursing an injury.
Mangold was a seven-time Pro Bowler and a two-time first-team All-Pro.
Great job Jets. You even made the most happiest place on earth turn glum. The 34-year-old Mangold announced on Twitter that he will sign a one-day contract with the Jets to retire as a member of the team. He missed only 12 games during his 11 seasons, including eight in his final year in the league. I learned this attribute from the vets that I played with. Mangold has been one of the NFL's top centers over the past decade.
The Jets took Mangold with the 29th-overall pick in the 2006 draft, pairing him with left tackle D'Brickashaw Ferguson, who was taken with the No. 4-overall pick.
Mangold failed to catch on with a new team when he was surprisingly cut by the Jets prior to the 2017 regular season. He ended his Jets career on injured reserve during the 2016 campaign, and the team cut him as one of several veteran cost-cutting maneuvers during the 2017 offseason. Forte is more noted for his eight years with the Bears. He went on to recount his career, saying his was "hooked" on football from his first practice as a peewee player in Ohio.
"My biggest regret is not bringing the Lombardi Trophy to NY but, as I retire, I will continue my efforts to bring the Trophy home in a different capacity", Mangold wrote.
As part of a massive roster overhaul, Mangold was released last offseason.
He continued to rehabilitate his foot and ankle through last season and kept his options open. He's decided that his career is over.
Mangold thanked his family, friends and fans as well as the Jets organization. "And I can't wait to see what this new chapter brings".
- Be unsteadying Stocks: Exxon Mobil Corporation (NYSE: XOM)
- USA recklessness in Syria
- A Fresh Look At Target Corp. (NYSE:TGT)
- Irate Mourinho ready to wield the axe
- Tax Day has arrived. Read this if you still need to file
- Bon-Ton bid appears to be falling short
- Analysts See $0.53 EPS for The Goodyear Tire & Rubber Company (GT)
- Vipshop Stake Limited (VIPS) Received Average Rating of "Purchase" from Brokerages
- Sandy Hook parents sue Alex Jones for calling massacre a hoax
- 114 pounds of marijuana seized in Lincoln