One of the greatest players in the history of the Philadelphia 76ers has passed away.
Facing the San Francisco Warriors, a team that had relocated from Philadelphia five years earlier, in the 1967 NBA Finals, the 76ers won in six games.
Greer's legacy includes being a Mid-American Conference MVP in 1958 and a two-time All-MAC selection, but his biggest and most significant accomplishment was becoming the first black athlete to play for Marshall and made 71 appearances in a Herd jersey. He was inducted into the Hall of Fame in 1982. Greer perhaps shined the brightest during the 1968 All-Star game, when he lit up Madison Square Garden with 21 points in just 17 minutes while playing with a record 17 future Hall of Famers.
Get daily prep sports headlines from the Gwinnett Daily Post staff delivered to your email.
The West Virginia native was already an established player for the Syracuse Nationals when the franchise moved to Philadelphia and became the 76ers in 1963.
In recognition of Hal Greer's impact on the Philadelphia 76ers franchise, the team will pay tribute to him during Monday night's game against the Miami Heat, the second game in their ongoing first-round playoff series.
The Sixers said Greer died Saturday night in Arizona after a brief illness. Greer also became the first player to be honored with a sculpture on 76ers Legends Walk at the team training complex in 2017.
From that point on, Greer and the 76ers stood out as one of the top rivals of the NBA's elite team, the Boston Celtics.
"In addition to his historic contributions on the court, Greer will forever be remembered as a true gentleman who used the tremendous platform of basketball to uplift and inspire others", the team added.
"The 76ers will celebrate Greer's life and legacy at tonight's game in South Philadelphia". "As the National Basketball Association family mourns Hal's passing, we celebrate his deep and lasting impact on our game".
- Boston Marathon: American Woman Wins For First Time Since '85
- Infosys shares fall 6% on lower operating margin guidance
- Exane Derivatives Increased Its Stake in Ubs Group (UBS) as Shares Declined
- Premier League updates from the London Stadium
- It's A Wrap For Alia, Ranveer's Gully Boy - View Pic
- Cwm LLC Decreased Apache Corp (APA) Stake by $5.48 Million
- Fulcrum Capital LLC Purchases New Holdings in Chevron Co. (CVX)
- Kendrick Lamar wins Pulitzer prize as Weinstein reporting also honoured
- NBN not meeting customer expectations: TIO
- Launch Of NASA's Newest Planet-Hunting Spacecraft Delayed