However, at the same time, Ford Australia confirmed it will axe mainstream Fiesta models from its line-up and there's still no sign of any Ford Performance versions of the Mustang, which will be the centre-piece of Ford Australia's return to the Australian Supercars Championship next year.
As rumoured a year ago, the Mustang will enter Australia's biggest racing series.
While sports cars have traditionally skewed toward male buyers in the United States, Mustang is increasingly finding favour with women.
The Mustang will be the first ever two-door racer in the Supercars era and will be powered by a 5.0-litre Ford Racing V8.
Global Mustang registrations in 2017 totaled 125,809 cars, according to Ford analysis of the most recent new light vehicle registration data from IHS Markit.
This won't be the first Ford Mustang to have a Monster sticker on it, that's for sure.
"The world loves Ford Mustang", says Erich Merkle, Ford sales analyst.
Roger Penske, whose Penske Racing team drives Fords, originally let slip that a new Ford body was coming in 2018 at the Daytona 500 in February, but the official announcement did not come until Tuesday.
"The Mustang nameplate is one the of the most legendary in the world and we are proud to have it lining up on our grid in 2019", Sean Seamer, Supercars CEO, said. It's the first time that the Mustang name has been in the top series for stock vehicle racing.
With the 2018 standing now dominated by the ZB Commodore, Roger Penske, co-owner of DJR Team Penske believes their re-engineered Mustang will see Ford rise to dominance once more.
"The fact that we will be able to build and race Mustang in the 2019 Supercars Championship is music to my ears".
- Global X MSCI Greece ETF (GREK) Rises 3.05% for April 16
- India offers soybean exports to China amid trade war with US
- Samsung's new smartphone patent shows they are joining the notch hype
- Major development in Prabhas's 'Saaho'-All you need to know
- Bodies of Indian family missing in U.S. found
- Apple reportedly planning paid news subscription service
- Most Active Volume Stock: Zillow Group, Inc. (NASDAQ:Z)
- Xiaomi Redmi S2 With Snapdragon 625 SoC, Face Unlock Heading to India
- LG G7 ThinQ render appears online, and looks surprisingly good
- Thousands of Android apps are tracking your kids