This is a bold bet for Warner Bros' Geoff Johns and Walter Hamada, who oversee DC under Toby Emmerich.
Deadline is reporting that Cathy Han may be directing the planned Harley Quinn movie over at Warner Brothers. This makes Yan the second female director to make a DC movie, after Patty Jenkins, and the first Asian woman ever to direct a superhero movie.
Yan is best known for writing and directing her feature debut "Dead Pigs", which took home the World Cinema Dramatic Award For Ensemble Acting at Sundance earlier this year. The trade blog reports that Warner Bros and DC Entertainment have chosen the Dead Pigs filmmaker to helm Birds Of Prey, which will see Margot Robbie return as Quinn. What is clear is that both the main characters and most of the creative braintrust are female, remarkable for a studio-sized superhero film. The script was written by Christina Hodson, who just got hired to write the "Batgirl" movie.
DC Comics' Birds of Prey are an global crimefighting team featuring heroines such as Oracle (Barbara Gordon), Black Canary (Dinah Laurel Lance) and the Huntress (Helena Bertinelli). Robbie is close to signing a deal to star as Sharon Tate in Quentin Tarantino's "Once Upon a Time in Hollywood", so production on the DC movie won't start until after that film is completed.
- International Monetary Fund revises forecast on Azerbaijan's economic growth
- Bear Visits Professional Football League Game
- Domino's delivers to outdoor venues and attractions
- Kathua rape: Jammu Bar Association faces flak
- Colin Kaepernick Arrives at NFL HQ to Depose Commissioner Goodell
- NBA Playgrounds 2 Hits the Hardwood This Summer
- Duke In The NBA: Weekend Playoff Wrap Up
- Google's AI-powered project will let you 'Talk to Books'
- Goldman Sachs Earnings: What to Watch
- Commonwealth Games success a boost before Asian Games: Mary Kom