"After learning that all of the people who became ill ate eggs or egg dishes, the FDA was able to trace back the source of some of the eggs to the Rose Acre Farms' Hyde County farm", FDA said on its website.
Cal-Maine Foods, Inc. issued a voluntary recall for 23,400 dozen eggs the company purchased from Rose Acre Farms following the farm's massive recall announcement last week, The Food and Drug Administration announced Monday.
Understandably, the news about potentially contaminated eggs causing the largest egg recall since 2010 has people anxious, and many are wondering how Salmonella even gets into eggs at their local grocery stores in the first place.
In 2010, a salmonella outbreak sickened hundreds and led to the recall of half a billion eggs. FDA officials inspected Hyde County farm, a facility in North Carolina that produces 2.3 million eggs a day.
Health officials discovered the possible outbreak after reports of illnesses from consumers living on the East Coast. The possibly tainted eggs were distributed from the farm between January 11 and April 12.
The eggs from a farm out of Hyde County, North Carolina potentially contaminated with Salmonella Braenderup were distributed to the following states: Virginia, Colorado, Florida, New Jersey, New York, North Carolina, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, and West Virginia through retail stores and restaurants via direct delivery. Symptoms typically include fever, diarrhea, vomiting and abdominal cramping.
Salmonella causes serious and sometimes fatal infections, especially in young children, the elderly and people with weakened immune systems. The eggs are sold under a number of brand names including Coburn Farms, Country Daybreak, Food Lion, Glenview, Great Value, Nelms, and Sunshine Farms. The vast majority of the cases are caused by contaminated foods.
According to the CDC, Salmonella enteritidis-the strain that makes people sick via eggs-can get into eggs that appear normal and are born from hens that also exhibit no symptoms of illness.
Visit the FDA website for more information on the recall.
- 2 tornadoes confirmed in SC
- Kendrick Lamar wins Pulitzer Prize for 'DAMN'
- Delhi University students arrested for allegedly stalking Union minister Smriti Irani
- Commonwealth Games success a boost before Asian Games: Mary Kom
- April 17 is here: You have until midnight to file taxes
- Manchester City to avoid ban from CAS
- Trump warns Russian Federation over Syrian crisis
- Duke In The NBA: Weekend Playoff Wrap Up
- Syria chemical attack: Investigators allowed to visit site
- Bear Visits Professional Football League Game