Steve Kroft, 60 Minutes correspondent, and the show's producers found that the carrier experienced an "alarming number" of issues between January 1, 2016, and October 31, 2017, that pointed to it being the "most dangerous" airline in the U.S.
CBS' 60 Minutes reported on an alleged string of unsafe issues aboard Allegiant Airlines flights such as aborted takeoffs, cabin pressure loss, emergency descents and unscheduled landings aboard aging aircraft in recent years. Allegiant thought the evacuation was unnecessary and fired the pilot six weeks later.
"We are aware of Sunday's 60 Minutes report involving Allegiant Air and its safety record", Concord City Manager Lloyd Payne said in a statement. CBS stands by its reporting and said the 2015 incident is "just one of the incidents detailed in the report".
Neither DeNardi and Syth have ever flown the airline, though both said they would have no reservations doing so. The mechanics and related personnel voted to join the Teamsters in March 2018 and have begun laying the groundwork for a first contract that will continue raising the standards for workers at Allegiant Air.
Allegiant also posted a statement dismissing the incidents described in the show as "years old" and as having occurred before the company's latest FAA audit. Not only do we expect our team members to adhere to all company procedures and policies-including safety procedures-but many positions are subject to statutory and regulatory obligations. Allegiant planes were forced to make 60 unscheduled landings and had 46 in-flight emergencies during that time frame, "60 Minutes" found.
The pilot involved in that incident is suing the airline for wrongful termination. (See Defendants' Revised Motion for Summary Judgment, Eighth Judicial District Court, Clark County, NV, Case No. A-15-727524-C.) Surprisingly, the 60 Minutes presentation of Mr. Kinzer's case omits this publicly-available side of the story. "Allegiant complies with all FAA requirements and participates in numerous voluntary safety programs to ensure we operate to the highest standards". Morgan Stanley reiterated an "equal weight" rating and set a $172.00 target price (up previously from $157.00) on shares of Allegiant Air in a research report on Friday, February 23rd.
A spokesman for the airline, Vice President of Operations Eric Gust, called the 60 Minutes presentation "irresponsible" and "grossly misleading".
Two years ago, 7 Eyewitness News spoke with Allegiant passengers who were upset after their flight to Niagara Falls was diverted to Syracuse.
- Boston Marathon: American Woman Wins For First Time Since '85
- Launch Of NASA's Newest Planet-Hunting Spacecraft Delayed
- United Contl Hldgs INC (UAL) Stake Held by Par Capital Management Inc
- Meek Mill Granted New Hearing by Philadelphia District Attorney
- Manchester City crowned Premier League champions after shock United defeat
- Basketball: Whitworth student helps England women win silver at the Commonwealth Games
- Analytical Guide for stocks rising stock's: Merck & Co., Inc., (NYSE: MRK)
- Government Watchdog Says EPA Broke Law With Pruitt Phone Booth
- Private Wealth Advisors Inc. Sells 621 Shares of Walmart Inc (NYSE:WMT)
- Trump says Comey and McCabe 'committed many crimes'