"I know he's thinking about that stuff when it comes to the next contract because he should have earned a voice by now", said one of Robinson's sources. In January they elected not to retain the services of quarterback coach Alex Van Pelt, with whom Rodgers had a very strong working relationship.
"Both of those decisions [with Nelson and Van Pelt] were made without him", a league source close to Rodgers told Yahoo Sports. Rodgers is under contract for $20.3 million in 2018 and $20.5 million in 2019.
"I thought that was an interesting change, really, without consulting me", Rodgers said of the Van Pelt decision on ESPN's Golic and Wingo. But that's just not the way it works [in Green Bay].
Robinson said "any friction between Rodgers and the franchise could become accentuated in the coming months" as extension talks continue, and one of his sources is quoted as saying the frustration is just "going to keep coming out".
However, the Packers quickly learned Rodgers' value last season when they went 3-6 without him after he suffered a broken collarbone. His deal, when he signed it in 2013, was the biggest in National Football League history.
Rodgers will turn 35 in December of this coming season, already nearing the tail-end of his career. If Rodgers' displeasure were to get as far as holding off on an extension to hit free agency, the Packers could be scrambling for a quarterback and would nearly surely have to meet Rodgers' contract demands. Over the past two years, quarterbacks like Andrew Luck, Derek Carr, Matthew Stafford, Kirk Cousins, and Jimmy Garoppolo have all signed monster deals with high amounts in guarantees, making Rodgers only the ninth-highest-paid quarterback in the league by average annual salary.
When new general manager Brian Gutekunst moved on from Van Pelt and Nelson, neither move was made with any reckless malice.
"From a personal standpoint, that's the toughest part", he said, "You're in this business for a long time and you start relationships with coaches and players.That's the toughest part about the whole thing is losing guys over the years". Cignetti also served under Ben McAdoo's staff with the New York Giants in 2016, and McAdoo previously served under coach Mike McCarthy in Green Bay. It's a fine consolation prize to equip Rodgers with. Any distraction - such as reports hinting at Rodgers' rancor - will likely be tuned out of the building.
- Capcom Releases Reigns on a New Monster
- TESS launch postponed, NASA now targets April 18
- Florida business claims citation for flying military flags
- Greitens' Attorney: Hawley 'clearly compromised' Probe into Donor List
- Visa Inc (V) Raised to Purchase at Vetr Inc
- South Koreans may visit North again ahead of first summit in decade
- Mariah Carey's representative blasts planned lawsuit as 'frivolous and baseless'
- Analysts See $0.53 EPS for The Goodyear Tire & Rubber Company (GT)
- Barrick Gold Corp (ABX) Stake Maintained by Majedie Asset Management Ltd
- M&T Bank Corp Stake In Pfizer INC (PFE) Was Increased