Several Opposition parties and labour unions in Andhra Pradesh participated in a day-long statewide strike on Monday to protest against the Centre's refusal to grant the state special category status. Most of the Opposition parties including YSR Congress (YSRC), Congress and Left parties have extended their support to the shutdown call, but the ruling TDP has opposed it.
# 07:19 AM: Statewide bandh called by Andhra Pradesh Pratyeka Hoda Saadhana Samiti over demand of #SpecialStatus for the state.
In the meantime, Karnataka State Road Transport Corporation buses will operate only till Andhra Pradesh state border due to the statewide bandh. However, reacting to this, the YSRC accused him of adopting "double standards". Chief Minister Chandrababu Naidu said bandhs hamper development and are not welcome.
Rambabu also stated that Naidu had no right to protest against a shutdown as a bandh was a form of democratic protest.
He alleged that the state government had been issuing notices to those supporting the bandh, saying cases would be booked against them.
Leaders and activists of opposition parties staged protests in different parts of the state. On Sunday, Chief Minister N Chandrababu Naidu, via a teleconference instructed ministers and state police to "prevent anti-social elements from creating untoward incidents".
The ruling Telugu Desam Party in Andhra Pradesh, as well as various political parties in the state, have been protesting against the Centre for a while for not fulfilling its promise to accord a special status for the state after the state of Andhra Pradesh was bifurcated into Telangana and the residuary Andhra Pradesh state in 2014. However, the Centre has been assuring the people of Andhra Pradesh that it will do everything to help the cause of Andhra people.
- Colon loses flawless game in eighth inning
- Facebook faces U.S. privacy investigation
- Radical Heights Falters in the Increasingly Bloated Battle Royale Genre
- (OMER) PT at $26.43
- Air strikes on Syria will not change course of war - Johnson
- Arab leaders call for probe into Syria chem attacks, condemn Iran
- H&M Announces Newest Designer Collaboration With Moschino
- Man rushed to hospital after shark attack at surf spot
- Kingdom Hearts III 'Classic Kingdom' trailer
- Balochistan: 2 Christians Killed in Pakistan Shooting