"Senate Armed Service Committee Chairman John McCain is applauding the airstrikes but says "they alone will not achieve USA objectives in the Middle East".
Russia's ambassador to the USA warned that there would be consequences for the attacks early on Saturday, which came in response to a suspected chemical weapons attack in the former rebel stronghold of Douma last weekend.
Russia's Colonel General Sergei Rudskoi said at a press conference on Saturday: 'This fact of American aggression shows that U.S. is not interested in conducting an objective investigation, wishes to disrupt the process of peaceful resolution in Syria and destabilise the situation in the region and has nothing to do with the previously proclaimed goals of fighting global terrorism'.
"First the "Arab spring" tested the Syrian people, then Islamic State, now smart American rockets".
The Russian defence ministry said today that none of the Western strikes in Syria had hit areas covered by Russia's air defences around its air base and naval facility.
"Again, we are being threatened".
Moscow also said it was calling an emergency session of the United Nations Security Council, where it is a permanent member, to discuss the "aggressive actions" of the U.S. and its allies.
"Insulting the President of Russia is unacceptable and inadmissible", added the envoy, after President Donald Trump directly called out his Russian counterpart Vladimir Putin over his support for the Assad regime.
"You have to be quite abnormal to attack Syria's capital just at the moment when it had a chance for a peaceful future". In his speech announcing military action in Syria, Trump pointedly asked: "What kind of a nation wants to be associated with the mass murder of innocent men, women, and children?"
"The US - the possessor of the biggest arsenal of chemical weapons - has no moral right to blame other countries".
- Foot injury rules KKR's Nagarkoti out of IPL 2018
- Sirius XM (SIRI) Downgraded to Sell at Zacks Investment Research
- Kerala: Newborn baby girl flushed down the toilet, plumbers stumble upon body
- At $75.72 Esperion Therapeutics, Inc. (ESPR) Forms Bullish Multiple Top Pattern
- 'Terminator' reboot casts Gabriel Luna as lead
- Preston Tucker out of the Braves' lineup on Saturday
- 'Massive' Sydney bushfire burns over 2000 hectares
- Manchester United vs. West Brom live stream info, TV channel
- Danaher Corp Del (DHR) Stake Decreased by Chevy Chase Trust Holdings Inc
- Saudi King Salman welcomes 'meeting of brothers' at Dhahran Summit