Winning the title with five matches to go makes City the joint earliest champions in the Premier League era - matching the achievement of the 2000-01 Manchester United team.
City manager Pep Guardiola might have missed one of the proudest moments of his career, however, after admitting on Saturday that he had a round of golf booked with his son and was not planning to watch United's game.
A serial victor as a manager with Barcelona and Bayern, Guardiola ended his first year in England at City without silverware - his only failure to win a trophy since his managerial career started back in 2007.
United's loss saw Manchester City officially become the champions of England, although there are still five games to be played until the end of the league season.
Ryan Giggs, who won 13 titles with Manchester United, believes City need to maintain their dominance for several seasons to join the all-time greats.
Former England worldwide Gary Lineker, who now works as a television presenter, tweeted: "Congratulations to @ManCity on winning the Premier League title". Spurs dominated the proceedings during United's previous visit to Wembley in the Premier League, and though the fixture is considered a neutral venue this time around, their rivals should have the ascendancy with the better feel of the surroundings.
Captain Vincent Kompany, Kyle Walker, Fabian Delph, John Stones and Bernardo Silva were among those who sang City songs with fans at a pub near Hale station in Altrincham.
Meanwhile Mourinho was left counting the cost of an insipid display by his team.
Do you think United deserved to lose this weekend?
"We were masters in complication, everything was complicated", Mourinho told Sky Sports.
This is Mourinho's second season at Old Trafford and he insisted that his impressive managerial record - at Porto, Chelsea, Inter Milan and Real Madrid - shouldn't be forgotten. Last not 20 years ago, it was three.
- H&M Announces Newest Designer Collaboration With Moschino
- Man rushed to hospital after shark attack at surf spot
- If Syria uses toxic gas again, United States 'locked and loaded': United Nations envoy
- Statewide bandh in Andhra Pradesh over special category status demand
- Radical Heights Falters in the Increasingly Bloated Battle Royale Genre
- UNSC rejects Russian resolution on Syria attack
- (NYSE:COG) Position Raised by Vident Investment Advisory LLC
- Four elephants killed by speeding train in Odisha
- Police say Woman who Drove SUV with Family off Cliff was Drunk
- U.S. airstrikes targeted Syrian chemical weapons infastructure