Friday, 22 March 2019
Latest news
Main » Man rushed to hospital after shark attack at surf spot

Man rushed to hospital after shark attack at surf spot

16 April 2018

A second man has been attacked by a shark close to where a surfer was mauled but managed to bodysurf back to shore where friends applied a tourniquet to stem his bleeding.

An RAC Rescue Helicopter was sent to the scene after the male was attacked by a shark about 8am on Monday morning.

"A shark popped up and pretty much ended up knocking a surfer from his board", he said.

The shark attack victim was flown to hospital after being given first aid by friends who stemmed the blood flow using a leg rope.

"The surfer who was being attacked ended up miraculously body surfing into a little wave and getting pushed in by a local at the same time, who was out there with him, and making it to shore before everyone came to his aid", Jovic added.

Another radio caller said other surfers had been spooked by the shark and had started leaving the water just before the attack happened.

"We could see its fin, and then when it attacked the man we could see its tail splashing and saw it launch up out of the water at him". Nick Edwards, 31, also died after a shark attack while surfing at nearby South Point in 2010.

The World Surf League have tweeted that they will be putting the World Surf League on hold as a result of the incident.

"He had cuts to both legs".

The Margaret River Pro was initially put on hold by the World Surf League but organisers chose to allow the competition to resume at 10.40am.

"We're sending our thoughts and prayers to him and his family during this hard time and we're working together to do everything we can to support him and his family moving forward", Mr Majeks said.

Heats had today returned to Main Break in Prevelly but the competition was suspended after the attack.

A surfer was killed by a shark at Gracetown in 2013. "We have mitigation protocols in place and will be enhancing those when competition resumes".

Man rushed to hospital after shark attack at surf spot