SRH skipper Kane Williamson won the toss and elected to field.
But while SRH captain Williamson drew on his vast experience in rotating his bowlers, KKR continued to make surprising decisions that weren't successful.
Pandey took two outstanding catches to send Nitish Rana (18; 16b 2x4 1x6) and Andre Russell (9; 5b 0x4 1x6) - back in the hut as SRH bowlers took control after a rain-induced halt when KKR were going steady at 52/1.
Kumar (3/26) - back after recovering from a sore back - was ably supported by pacer Billy Stanlake (2/21) and Bangladesh all-rounder Shakib Al Hasan (2/21). Another ex-KKR player, Shakib Al Hasan, had a productive day with figures of 2 for 21 that included a sharp caught-and-bowled effort.
However, Pandey's screamer of a catch to oust Rana came in the first over upon the resumption and when Williamson pouched Sunil Narine (9) - who batted at No 4 instead of his usual opening berth - running back from midwicket, KKR began to slide. After losing their openers Wriddhiman Saha (24 runs off 15 balls) and Shikhar Dhawan (7 runs off 7 balls) early, Kane Williamson led from the front with a magnificent 44-ball 50 with four boundaries and one six.
There is another IPL double header on Sky Sports Cricket on Sunday - Royal Challengers Bangalore host Rajasthan Royals (11am) before Kings XI Punjab entertain Chennai Super Kings (3pm). Chris Lynn looked good for his 34-ball 49 but was taken out by Shakib, and Karthik's 29 towards the end of the innings was the only other significant contribution with the bat.
- Narendra Modi Finally Responds On The Rape Cases In The Country
- Syria chemical attack staged by United Kingdom , claims Russian Federation
- John Cena & Nikki Bella End Their Engagement & Announce Split After 6 Years
- People take to streets against Unnao, Kathua, Surat rape incidents
- Harry Kane on golden boot race: Salah has had an wonderful season
- CVS Health (CVS) Stake Lessened by Brown Advisory Securities LLC
- Freeport-McMoRan (NYSE:FCX) Coverage Initiated at Goldman Sachs
- Mastercard Inc (MA) Shares Reduced by TCW Group Inc
- Led airstrikes hit all targets in Syria: Pentagon
- US, Russia fight at United Nations over Syria chemical weapons attacks