Virginia State Police said one person was killed when a small plane crashed in western Albemarle County near Crozet Sunday night, WCAV reported.
The crash happened before 11:30 a.m. around the Medina and Bexar County line near Potranco Road and County Road 381. Steep terrain and weather conditions complicated rescue efforts.
DPS officials say an aircraft failed to return after taking off from the owner's home.
One body was found in the wreckage and the cause of the crash is under investigation, according to state police spokesperson Corinne Geller.
Constitution eastbound from Tutt Blvd will be closed for about 7-15 hours while the FAA investigates the crash.
National Transportation Safety Board investigators are trying to determine if the Piper PA-24 Comanche was overloaded and not equipped to carry six people.
This is a developing story.
- Cardinal Health (CAH) Earns Media Sentiment Rating of 0.10
- USA to announce new economic sanctions on Russian Federation
- Capital Management Corp VA Lowers Position in Visa (NYSE:V)
- U.S. places trade embargo on Chinese telecom equipment maker
- Delhi man posed as AIIMS doctor to speed up sister's treatment
- Eagles Drop Daryl Worley after DUI in South Philly
- OnePlus 6 will be Amazon exclusive, reveals 'India teaser'
- John Stamos welcomes first child with Caitlin McHugh
- Today's Brokerage Rating: Square, Inc. (SQ), The Coca-Cola Company (KO)
- Burlington Stores Inc (NYSE:BURL) Shorts Reduced By 18.38%