The police on Saturday arrested a 19-year-old boy from Delhi who posed as a doctor at AIIMS for last five months. He had an Aadhaar card from Bihar that revealed that he belongs to village Baradi Bairiya in East Champaran district and was now residing at Batla House in Jamia Nagar. He used his forged identity to make friends across departments and among medical students.
With over 2,000 resident doctors in AIIMS, it is hard to know each and every person individually and Khurram used this to his advantage and avoided being caught.
Sources confirmed that there is also a medical diary issued in the name of Adnan Khurram. He also said that he posed as a doctor because he liked to spend time with doctors, a profession he wanted to take up himself.
While police are still not clear why Khurram posed as a doctor as he has been frequently changing statements, one of the reasons given by the 19-year-old is that he had to help an ailing family member get preferential treatment.
"Khurram has been observing his activities in the campus for the past many months so I made a decision to keep a watch at him".
Khurram has studied till Class X and has no criminal record. AIIMS officials said the impersonation was discovered after a complaint by doctors to authorities, alleging that they had identified an "impostor" who used the hospital as a platform to attend "different political and medical events". To assert his identity, he had even uploaded pictures on his social media accounts wearing a doctor's coat and a stethoscope around his neck. According to Financial Express, doctors became suspicious of Khurram when he was attending a marathon on Saturday. When confronted, he could not produce any proof of identity and the doctors called the police and handed him over to the police. "He made his way to the WhatsApp grpups of the doctors as well". He further also gave a possible reason for the impersonator going unnoticed for a long period of time informing that AIIMS comprises about 2,000 resident doctors and that not every doctor knows about the other.
Financial Express reports that Khurram was charged under IPC Sections 419 (impersonation) and 468 (forgery for goal of cheating) at Hauz Khas police station and has been lodged in Tihar Jail, DCP (south). He has posted photographs of him with politician as well.
- Guardiola names the game that turned Man City's season
- United Kingdom admits 'horrendous' mistakes over 'Windrush' immigrants denied rights
- Today's Brokerage Rating: Square, Inc. (SQ), The Coca-Cola Company (KO)
- How Effective Was Trump's Previous Strike Against Syria?
- Coli outbreak in 11 states linked to romaine lettuce
- China's Sina Weibo reverses ban on 'homosexual' content
- Russia, Turkey to cooperate despite different stance on USA strikes against Syria
- Broncos release CJ Anderson
- Police Responding to 'Ongoing Situation' at Lee Correctional Institution
- Samsung's latest smartphone can't connect to the internet