Desiree Linden splashed her way through icy rain and a near-gale headwind to win the Boston Marathon on Monday, the first victory for an American woman since 1985.
The 34-year-old runner not only stopped to wait for her friend but also helped Flanagan catch the lead pack, states USA Today. "Helping her helped me, and I kinda got my legs back from there". Des, the two-time Olympian and 2011 Boston runner-up pulled away at the end of Heartbreak Hill to finish in 2 hours, 39 minutes, 54 seconds.
"For me, it's the best conditions possible", Kawauchi said with a wide smile through an interpreter. She also was second at the US Olympic Marathon trials in 2012 and 2016.
As for herself, Flanagan was reportedly unsure she would even finish the Boston Marathon.
Earlier in the race, Linden temporarily took herself out of contention to help fellow American Shalane Flanagan, who won the New York City Marathon in November - the first American woman to take that honor in 40 years.
Linden saw Flanagan making an emergency break (the athlete darted into a portable toilet) and chose to slow down and make sure her friend and competitor was alright.
Linden then made her move, passing Daska, then moments later overtaking Chesir for the lead and never giving it up.
The runner was convinced the 2018 Boston Marathon was going to be her swan song - a final chance to win the 26.2-mile race.
Lisa Larsen Weidenbach's 1985 victory was the last for an American woman - before the race began offering prize money that lured the top worldwide competitors to the world's oldest and most prestigious annual marathon.
The brutal conditions caused this to be the slowest women's race since 1978.
Canadian Krista Duchene finished in third place and was the only non-American runner to place in the top five. The last American man to win Boston was Meb Keflezighi, in 2014.
- AMD officially announces Ryzen 2000 processors
- James Comey describes Donald Trump as a 'stain' in long-awaited TV interview
- Starting tomorrow, you can sign up for Bumble without a Facebook account
- Sean Hannity unmasked as Trump lawyer's mystery client
- Occidental Petroleum Corporation (NYSE:OXY) - Important Factors to Analyse A Good Investment
- Belle of Baton Rouge being sold under $1.85 billion Tropicana deal
- Meek Mill Granted New Hearing by Philadelphia District Attorney
- Pfizer Inc. (NYSE:PFE) has analysts on the Bullish side this week
- Oversight's Gowdy Backs Raid on President's Private Attorney
- Man convicted of sexual assault on minor in name of witchcraft