According to a statement that his manager posted on Facebook, Ermey died from complications from pneumonia.
Ermey is best remembered for his role in the 1987 movie "Full Metal Jacket" as Gunnery Sergeant Hartman, where his character met an unseemly demise at the hands of a deranged Marine Corps Boot Camp trainee. Ermey also served in Okinawa, Japan and in Vietnam for 14 months in 1968. Please support your men and women in uniform.
In addition to his critically acclaimed performance in Full Metal Jacket, he had roles in Apocalypse Now and The Boys in Company C. From 1965 to 1967, he was a drill instructor at Marine Corps Recruit Depot San Diego. He also hosted "Mail Call" (2002-2009) on The History Channel where he would answer letters from viewers about weapons, tactics, equipment and military terminology. Gunnery Sergeant Hartman of Full Metal Jacket fame was a hard and principled man. He was generous to everyone around him. There are many Gunny's, but this one was ours. And, we will honor his memory with hope and kindness. "My demeanor happens to be a bit more authoritative and film directors, producers want to capitalize on that".
One person wrote: "God never takes someone early, they're just needed in heaven for a higher goal, godspeed R. Lee Ermey". Kubrick was impressed with Ermey, allowing him to make up his own dialogue on the set.
There are many Gunny's, but this one was OURS.
Ermey's Full Metal Jacket co-stars paid tribute to the veteran actor, as well, with Vincent D'Onofrio tweeting, "Ermey was the real deal".
Ermey also did voice-over work for video games such as "Crash Bandicoot" and appeared as the voice of the drill instructor in "Call of Duty: Ghosts", from the immensely popular COD series.
Ermey famously bashed President Barack Obama in December 2010, saying his administration was trying to "impose socialism" on the American people and was "destroying the country". R. Lee Ermey lived an fantastic life and did more in it than most.
- Chelsea claim first win from 2-0 down since 2002
- Pacers start strong, finish strong to stun Cavaliers in playoff opener
- Led airstrikes hit all targets in Syria: Pentagon
- CWG 2018: Dipika-Joshna wins silver in women's doubles squash
- 'Brand Markle' challenges royals to up their game, says biographer
- From April 14-15 Snovio (SNOV) has moved up more than 0.43%
- #Kathua: BJP accepts resignation of its two J&K ministers
- EPL: Giroud helps Chelsea secure comeback win over Southampton
- US, Russia fight at United Nations over Syria chemical weapons attacks
- China targets $3 billion of U.S. goods in tariff spat