"Not one of the cruise missiles released by the U.S. and its allies entered the zone of responsibility of Russian air defences protecting facilities in Tartus and Hmeimim", the ministry said in a statement carried by the RIA Novosti state news agency, referring to the locations of Russia's naval facility in Tartus and its Hmeimim air base.
"We have absorbed the strike", the official told Reuters.
"A pre-designed scenario is being implemented".
"Again, we are being threatened".
Moscow also said it was calling an emergency session of the United Nations Security Council, where it is a permanent member, to discuss the "aggressive actions" of the U.S. and its allies. "All responsibility for them rests with Washington, London and Paris".
In a televised address from the White House, Trump said he had ordered U.S. armed forces to launch "precision strikes" associated with Assad's chemical weapons capabilities.
Russian defence ministry said that no U.S. or allied missiles had entered Russian air defence zones in Syria yet. "We did not coordinate targets".
"The US - the possessor of the biggest arsenal of chemical weapons - has no moral right to blame other countries".
The action followed a week of threats of retaliation for a suspected chemical weapons attack on civilians in Douma, outside Damascus, where Syrian forces have always been battling rebels.
The attack also comes just hours before experts from the UN Organization for the Prohibition of Chemical Weapons (OPCW) were scheduled to visit Douma on Saturday to determine whether chemical weapons had indeed been used there.
Syria ally Russian Federation has warned of "consequences" following the launch of US-led strikes against Bashar al-Assad's regime in retaliation for a suspected chemical attack.
- PCB announce Test squad for Ireland and England tours
- North Carolina Restaurant Tops Burger with a Whole Tarantula
- Vladimir Putin condemns US-led airstrikes on Syria
- Threat of Heavy Rains Prompts Flood Watch for Islands
- Kyodo: Abe to Ask Trump to Reject 'Phased' Denuclearization of North Korea
- As of April, 25 Cenovus Energy Inc. (CVE) Analysts See $-0.04 EPS
- Marian Students Stage Protest on School Closing
- Red Sox off to Best Start in Franchise History
- Cong demands sacking of UP CM over Unnao case
- Synergy Pharmaceuticals Inc. (SGYP) Analysts See $-0.16 EPS as of May, 9