In order to save the country's national fish Hilsa, during its breeding season, Prime Minister of Bangladesh Sheikh Hasina this year has made a decision to eat rice soaked in water (panta bhaat) and dried fish mash (Shutki bhorta) on the first day Bengali New Year. Bengali New Year, 1425, is celebrated with fervour across Bangladesh and across the world.
A daylong reunion of thousands of people from Bangladesh and India, especially of those who can not afford to travel to the other country to see their relatives, took place at different borders of Panchagarh and Thakurgaon on Sunday, marking Pahela Baishakh. Apart from donning new clothes, the day is celebrated with fairs, dancing and music. According to a report in bengalics.org, "the introduction of Bengali year had not only survived but at one time had also given the unique power of nationalistic feelings and pride to the separated and divided mainly joint Bengali society". The festival date is set according to the lunisolar Bengali calendar as the first day of its first month, Baisakh which usually falls on either April 14 or 15. The Bengali calendar, introduced by the Mughal Emperor Akbar is a mixture of the lunar Islamic calendar and solar Hindu calendar. They invite customers to visit shops and ask them to start a new account for the year ahead after settling the old ones.
Food is also an important part of Poila Baisakh like all other Indian festivals.
Since, Naba Barsha is a ideal time for family reunion, here we wish you a very Happy Bengali New Year with your loved ones.
- As of April, 25 Suncor Energy Inc. (SU) EPS Estimated At $0.59
- BJP paying only lip service to Dalits: Congress
- Russian Federation calls an emergency session to discuss strikes on Syria
- Champions League: Liverpool came through whirlwind v Man City - Jurgen Klopp
- Russia's USA ambassador warns of consequences for Syria strikes
- Egypt's President Sisi arrives in Saudi Arabia ahead of Arab Summit
- EPS for American Eagle Outfitters, Inc. (AEO) Expected At $0.22
- Commonwealth Games 2018: England into netball final
- Douglas Lane & Associates LLC Decreases Holdings in ExxonMobil (XOM)
- EPS for Host Hotels & Resorts, Inc. (HST) forecasted at $0.40