DeMar DeRozan scored 17 points, C.J. Miles and OG Anunoby had 12 points each and Kyle Lowry ended with 11 points and nine assists for Toronto, which halted an NBA-worst 10-game losing streak in playoff openers.
According to TSN Sports' Josh Lewenberg, VanVleet's shoulder is fine for the long-term, but he has still to be cleared to play.
The Toronto Raptors' quest for the franchise's first National Basketball Association championship gets underway Saturday afternoon at Air Canada Center.
Delon Wright will likely see more time in his place.
VanVleet has averaged 8.6 points and 3.2 assists a game this season and has been solid in his backup role to starter Kyle Lowry.
Washington led 91-88 when Scott was called for a flagrant foul after using his elbow to knock Lowry down early in the fourth. The team stuck by the ball-sharing that won them games all season. "Like I said, it's one of those moments to where we feel like when we are on our home floor, anything's possible, and our swag is at an all-time high".
"We haven't played with John against them", said Wizards guard Tomas Satoransky. "The first step in the journey", Miles said. "They've got two all-stars, guys who can really play, Markieff was really good today, Gortat too". Understanding that the game plan our coaches are putting in front of us is going to work.
Unlike during playoff games the past five years, thousands of fans were not packed into Jurassic Park outside the ACC to watch the game on the giant video screen.
The Raps made 16 three-pointers to Washington's eight. But the Raptors' double-digit lead was shortlived and they led 28-23 after one.
Raptors over the Wizards, 4 games to 2. The Wizards held a 59-55 half-time lead. Toronto had 11 turnovers in the first half, leading to 12 points for the Wizards.
- Your Gmail May Have a Handy Self-Destructing E-Mail Feature Soon
- May 'orders British submarines into position' as United Kingdom considers strike against Syria
- Jordan Ayew supplies cutting edge to give Swansea City some breathing space
- Forsberg scores twice in third as Predators rally to overcome Avalanche
- US VP Pence thanks Canada for backing Syria strikes, optimistic on NAFTA
- PM to inaugurate Ambedkar memorial on Friday
- Golds for Mary Kom, Gaurav Solanki, Vikas Krishan
- Stoke City-West Ham United Preview
- Vikas Krishan adds to the boxers golden run at CWG 2018
- UK, US and France launch strikes on Syria