They were joined by Britain and France. But she added that the violation of worldwide rules against chemical weapons is serious, and "the reactions will be appropriate".
"A perfectly executed strike last night".
"Could not have had a better result".
U.S. President Donald Trump warned Russian Federation on Wednesday that missiles "will be coming" in response to the April 7 gas attack, alleged to have killed dozens of people, and lambasted Moscow for standing by Syrian President Bashar al-Assad.
US Defense Secretary Jim Mattis called the strikes a "one-time shot" with no additional military action planned for now.
Merkel called the joint strike by the United States, Britain and France early Saturday as "necessary and appropriate", saying it will "preserve the effectiveness of the worldwide ban on the use of chemical weapons".
"At the suggestion of German Chancellor Angela Merkel, Prime Minister Narendra Modi will be making a brief stopover in Berlin on April 20 after completing his visits to Sweden and the United Kingdom", the ministry said in a statement. "If the permanent representatives in the (U.N.) Security Council were to initiate steps. going beyond the diplomatic dimension, then we will be supportive". Before meeting his advisers on Thursday, Trump said "we're looking very very seriously, very closely" at the Syria situation.
Germany and France will push for a new global effort to achieve a lasting ceasefire in Syria, German Foreign Minister Heiko Maas said on Saturday.
Merkel also stressed, however, that the use of chemical weapons was always "unacceptable".
- Assumption Clinton would Triumph a Element in Re Search — Former FBI Mind
- $1bn Security Funds: Senate Yet To Hear From Buhari
- Targa Resources Corp. (NYSE:TRGP) Weekly Ratings on April 14, 2018
- Russian Federation says has proof Britain was behind alleged Syria chemical attack
- US VP Pence thanks Canada for backing Syria strikes, optimistic on NAFTA
- Woman legally drunk when she drove family off cliff
- Britain had no choice but to conduct air strikes, Theresa May says
- Gmail Confidential Mode Brings Self-Destructing Emails And Identity Verification For Recipients
- Marvell Technology Group Ltd., (NASDAQ: MRVL)
- BKD Wealth Advisors LLC Purchases 903 Shares of Procter & Gamble (NYSE:PG)