Tuesday, 24 April 2018
Latest news
Main » President Buhari pledges to ensure rescue of remaining Chibok schoolgirls

President Buhari pledges to ensure rescue of remaining Chibok schoolgirls

14 April 2018

This screengrab taken on May 12, 2014, from a video of Nigerian Islamist extremist group Boko Haram obtained by AFP shows girls, wearing the full-length hijab and praying in an undisclosed rural location.br / Nigeria's government on MAy 17, 2017 said another Chibok girl was free, having escaped from Boko Haram Islamists more than three years after being kidnapped with more than 200 classmates.

"However, this government is not relenting".

Buhari gave the assurance Nigerians that as long as he remained the Commander-in-Chief of the Armed Forces, the Chibok girls would never be forgotten and everything would be done to reunite them with their families.

The president in a series of tweets posted on his Twitter page urged the parents to keep their hopes alive on the return of their daughters, noting that the recovery of more than a 100 of the girls that were kidnapped through the Federal Government's determined effort should give confidence that all "hope is not lost".

ActionAid Nigeria (AAN) has called on the Federal Government to make the cities and spaces in schools more safe to avoid a repeat of the disgusting experiences of the Chibok and more recently the Dapchi girls' abduction saga which shook the entire nation. Don't lose faith in this government's ability to fulfil our promise of reuniting you with your daughters.

Buhari further said in the statement, "We are concerned and aware that it is taking long to bring the rest of our daughters back home, but be assured that this administration is doing its very best to free the girls from their captors".

"Don't imagine for a moment that we have forgotten about our daughters or that we consider their freedom a lost course, ".

The United Nations Children's Fund (UNICEF) yesterday said that at least 2,295 teachers had been killed in the North-east since the conflict started in 2009.

"Children in northeastern Nigeria continue to come under attack at a shocking scale", said Mohamed Malick Fall, UNICEF's Nigeria head.

He called for an end to "all grave violations of children's rights", in that part of Nigeria.

It said it had interviewed one young woman, Khadija, now 17, who was abducted after a Boko Haram attack on her town, then locked in a room, forced to marry one of the fighters and repeatedly raped. Hence, government at all levels must prioritise safe cities, provision of security and safe spaces in our schools in order to encourage girls' enrolment and retention as well as protect them from all forms of violence.

About a 100 of them are still being held by the terrorists.

President Buhari pledges to ensure rescue of remaining Chibok schoolgirls