In the animated movie, Mulan served directly under Captain Li Shang, and his father, General Li, briefly appeared, but was later slaughtered alongside his troops by Shan Yu's army.
The 54-year-old actor - who is one of China's biggest and most successful global stars - is said to be in finals talks with the studio about playing the Emperor of China in the much-anticipated remake, The Hollywood Reporter reports. The piece also gives details about Gong Li's antagonist, describing her as "a powerful witch". In addition, Chinese-Vietnamese actress Xana Tang has been cast as Mulan's sister, which will be an entirely new role for this movie.
Tons of information has been swirling the live-action remake of Mulan, with the recent announcement of Donnie Yen joining the cast of the film as of two days ago.
Loosely based on a Chinese story, Mulan is set during Imperial China during an invasion by the Huns. Chris Bender, Jason Reed and Jake Weiner are producing.
Gong Li's career dates back to the 1987 film "Red Sorghum". She starred in the 2016 Chinese action-fantasy "the Monkey King 2". After the martial arts champ became a superstar in Asia on the strength of franchises like Shaolin Temple and Once Upon a Time in China, he made his Hollywood debut in 1998's Lethal Weapon 4, followed by Romeo Must Die opposite Aaliyah in 2000.
The original animated feature of Mulan, released in 1998, grossed US$304.3 million worldwide.
Disney's live-action remake of Mulan has gained some major star power.
Mulan is scheduled to hit theaters on March 27, 2020 and is directed by Niki Caro, who is best known for the acclaimed drama Whale Rider. The studio is now shooting "Dumbo", with Tim Burton directing and Colin Farrell starring.
- Suspect in CT double homicide found dead in Dutchess County
- Alaska Air Group (ALK) Shares Sold by Envestnet Asset Management Inc
- How Analysts Feel About Net Element, Inc. (NETE) After Today's Huge Increase?
- Tax deadline: Things to know about filing taxes
- CYREN Ltd. (CYRN) Sets 1-Year High at $2.88 on April , 12
- IAMGOLD Corporation (IMG) Analysts See $0.01 EPS as of May, 8
- IRS warning taxpayers to not fall victim to "ghost" preparers
- Analyst Consensus Ratings Watch for American Tower Corporation (REIT) (NYSE:AMT)
- Analyst Projected Earnings Estimates: Hess Corporation's (HES)
- State of Emergency in Oklahoma; Cattlemen Start Wildfire Relief Fund